Yammie/Klipsch incompatibilites?

endover

----------------

On 3/16/2004 1:17:23 PM Griffinator wrote:

Definitely - but what's better than a high-quality small amp?

A high-quality MEGAWATT amp!
11.gif

The lower you can keep the volume on an SS, the better it will sound. If I buy a 1500WPC amp and only use 50W at any given time, that amp is sounding better than any 50WPC SS is capable of sounding.

Of course, that's a ridiculous example, although I know studios that swear by megawatt Crowns to power their studio monitors - not for volume's sake, but for transparency and headroom's sake.

----------------

very true, very true. 1.gif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 3/16/2004 1:17:23 PM Griffinator wrote:

Definitely - but what's better than a high-quality small amp?

A high-quality MEGAWATT amp!
11.gif

The lower you can keep the volume on an SS, the better it will sound. If I buy a 1500WPC amp and only use 50W at any given time, that amp is sounding better than any 50WPC SS is capable of sounding.

Of course, that's a ridiculous example, although I know studios that swear by megawatt Crowns to power their studio monitors - not for volume's sake, but for transparency and headroom's sake.

----------------

very true, very true. 1.gif

damn double post sorry

Go with the HK (AVR430 or 630) I have the 430 and it rocks! It can easily compete with any other receiver that you are looking at. Do worry about the ratings my 430 is capable of pushing much more power. And the sound clarity at high levels is the best I ever heard

----------------

On 3/16/2004 1:45:04 PM Griffinator wrote:

Definitely correct, AVman - I'd rather have small tubes anyhow, but if you must go SS, go big honkin' SS.

My dream SS setup: 4 KHorns, 2 LaScalas, a custom LaScala center, 3 Triad platinum subs (mounted in the wall) and seven Crown 1200W monos.
11.gif

Of course, with a 5 year old in the house, the volume control would be under lock and key.
9.gif

----------------

going to watch the movie or listen to music down the street. 4.gif good lord you would not be able to sit in the living room. 9.gif but hey isn't that the goal. 16.gif

----------------

On 3/16/2004 2:25:35 PM Griffinator wrote:

LOL!

If I attempted to drive a full 1200W into any home audio speaker, it would burn like a matchstick in a furnace - even the supposedly "unlimited power handling" Bo$e 901's. I know people who've destroyed those with PA amplifiers. I wish I'd been around to see it!
11.gif

----------------

what was that name again? did you say overpriced, overrated (by uneducated people) speakers? 14.gif

----------------

On 3/16/2004 2:25:35 PM Griffinator wrote:

LOL!

If I attempted to drive a full 1200W into any home audio speaker, it would burn like a matchstick in a furnace - even the supposedly "unlimited power handling" Bo$e 901's. I know people who've destroyed those with PA amplifiers. I wish I'd been around to see it!
11.gif

----------------

i saw a 901 plugged into a power strip and then the strip was turned on...120 volts a/c!! they were pumping so hard i felt the wind from them(i guess?@60Hz?)

btw-the amps in my ht receiver have parallel push-pull output transistors,which seem to be exceptional.

avman.

Man! You guys know how to fill a guys head with lots-o-information!!!!

What to do, what to do......??????

I guess I'll have to try out a few systems before I commit the bucks. I've never heard my Chorus' with anything but my Onkyo so I'd like to try them with the HK, Yammie, and Elite. If I'm gonna spend $800 bucks or more (and be stuck with what I buy for the next 15+ years), it makes it more worth it to do some driving back and forth. Orlando's an hour a way and has limited stores and West Palm Beach/Ft. Laud is 2 hours away but has more options......

I'd best plan a couple of vacation days with the wife in South Florida over the next month or two and see what I come up with....

Thanks!

----------------

On 3/17/2004 10:40:10 AM endover wrote:

Man! You guys know how to fill a guys head with lots-o-information!!!!

What to do, what to do......??????

I guess I'll have to try out a few systems before I commit the bucks. I've never heard my Chorus' with anything but my Onkyo so I'd like to try them with the HK, Yammie, and Elite. If I'm gonna spend $800 bucks or more (and be stuck with what I buy for the next 15+ years), it makes it more worth it to do some driving back and forth. Orlando's an hour a way and has limited stores and West Palm Beach/Ft. Laud is 2 hours away but has more options......

I'd best plan a couple of vacation days with the wife in South Florida over the next month or two and see what I come up with....

Thanks!

----------------

Bring your speakers with you. It's a tough haul, but it's the best way to ensure that you're happy with the sound.

----------------

On 3/20/2004 2:55:59 PM donziman wrote:

I had a yamaha reciver that was 100x7 it was ok .Then got a denon 110x7 the sound diferance was in a hole diffent ball game. Better highs and alot more volume it dosent shut down and that's my two cents.

denon 1082

chorusII

rc3

rs3II

rsw10

----------------

Ummmmm

How long ago did you have this Yamaha?

Yammy just started making 7-channel amps. Their top-o-the-line last year was the mighty RX-Z1 - which was a 100x6 and 2x45 (front effects channel) amplifier.

This years 1400, 2400, and 3400 models are 7 channels - the first in Yammy's history.

Are you quite certain it was a Yamaha amplifier?

my yammie (rx-v2090) is 7- channel and it is from 1995. i bought it in 1997. 100X3 main, center 45X4 surround front and rear. only the second reciever to have ac-3 (now called dolby digital).so they have been around at least that long. i'm sorry it is 35x4 for the surround

Good lord, man. That's not a true 7.1 anyhow! No wonder the Denon replacement sounded so much better - crikey, you're talking about a 3.1 system with auxilliary front and rear channels - the 3 true "front" channels are 100 watts apiece, while the rears and the "front effects" channels are 35 watts apiece.

To compare that to even a modern Yamaha would be laughable, to say the least. Of course the Denon sounded better - the Yamaha you replaced it with was a ProLogic receiver.

I've never heard a ProLogic receiver that actually sounded good, especially in the face of all channel balanced power systems - and I owned some of the very first of their kind, by Sony, Marantz, Denon, and several others.

Hang onto that old receiver, it might just have better sound than a new one. In constant dollars, a 70s solid-state receiver that sold for about $700 then, should sell for about $2,100 now. Instead, similar quality models cost $3 to 6K! While the vintage receiver sells for $25 to $75 go figure!2.gif

After enjoying many similarities between my flea-powered tube Bottlehead 2A3 Paramour amplifiers and the powerful Pass Laboratories Supersymmetry Balanced Single-Ended Class-AX250 (http://enjoythemusic.com/magazine/archives/), what I would look for in a solid-state receiver would be its ability to sound great at low to normal volumes and its ability to handle low impedance loads. I think solid-state amplifiers should double their wattage as the impedance value drops. A fifty-watt amplifier into 8-ohms, should generate 100-watts into 4-ohms, etc. This means the amplifier, NOT the woofer, controls the sound of the loudspeaker. It makes for a tighter bass, more balanced presentation and smoother mid-range. In my opinion, this is the one thing that solid-state amplifiers can do better than tube equipment.2.gif

----------------

On 3/21/2004 9:38:18 AM dantfmly wrote:

it does have 5.1 though. and i see now that you are not talking about 7 channels of amplification. your talking about 7.1 well they also have 9.1 now also

----------------

What I'm talking about is balanced-amplification 7.1. That Yamaha isn't even a true 5.1 - the rear speakers get a measly 35WPC (according to Yammy's website) - that doesn't make for true DD experience.

----------------

On 3/21/2004 10:48:54 AM Griffinator wrote:

----------------

On 3/21/2004 9:38:18 AM dantfmly wrote:

it does have 5.1 though. and i see now that you are not talking about 7 channels of amplification. your talking about 7.1 well they also have 9.1 now also

----------------

What I'm talking about is balanced-amplification 7.1. That Yamaha isn't even a true 5.1 - the rear speakers get a measly 35WPC (according to Yammy's website) - that doesn't make for true DD experience.

----------------

that was one of the complaints about the reciever in the review i read a long time ago. But it was yammies first go at dd.

----------------

On 3/21/2004 11:30:43 AM dantfmly wrote:

that was one of the complaints about the reciever in the review i read a long time ago. But it was yammies first go at dd.

----------------

By all means, Yamaha wasn't the only company circa that time period that was making amps with pitifully weak rear speaker outputs. We were just coming out of the dark ages of ProLogic. The manufacturers hadn't quite figured out that people hated having rear speakers that didn't make any sound most of the time.