Yammie/Klipsch incompatibilites?

endover

----------------

On 4/26/2004 6:21:51 AM HornEd wrote:

PS: Gracias Diego... your Klipsch standards are fine... and there are many on this Forum who envy what you have put together in Argentina... and rightly so. "Butt" be informed that "CYA" can mean more than "see ya" in some quarters of the U.S.A.
6.gif
----------------

HornEd, you're welcome.

I love Klipsch (Speakers, not the Founder 9.gif) since I've bought my KSW12".

I used it with a pair of TECHNICS LX-70. After those I went through lot of speakers. I had some "home made" mids with superbullet tweeters, no woofers, just subwoofer, but I didn't like that, even I was able to play them so extremly loud as my ears could bleed but not HI quality was out of them.

I sold all that stuff and after that I got a pair of Yamaha with a Central speaker, model NS-AP150 I think. Those were "fine" but not what I was looking for.

Then I bought a pair of JBL Pro Control 25, I still own them, but trying to sell.

Some day I was surfing MercadoLibre.com.ar (Same as eBay.com for you guys), and I saw this pair of Heresy '82. I bought them as fast as I could. I paid 490 pesos. That's about 170 US Dollars!!

The unfortune was with them I think... the next day I bought them, my father lost his job, they ****ing fired him.

Anyways, that's how I end up with those. I've changed amplifiers 3 times. First of all I bought an used Technics SA-EX500, then I sold it and give the money to my father who was traveling to Miami 10.gif and asked him for a Sony STR-DE945. About 6 months ago, I sold it more expensive than I bought in the US, and bought my actual Yamaha RX-V640.

I'm not thinking in any way to sell my klipsch, at least not my Heresies. I don't know any people in Argentina who has Klipsch stuff. I've posted in the Spanish section in order to see if I could know someone but no replies yet.

Well... I know "CYA" should be written as "See You", also it can be written as "C U". I've studied english some years... but it's not my native language so I'm sorry about my mistakes. Thanks god I can be in here and read/write in english and practice it.

It will be very important in my life... I'm studying Hotel Management so there's no way to be a good Hotelier if no english is spoken. I'd like also to learn german, but first I'd like to get a job to help my father right now...

I'm sorry, again, I've extended myselft and this has not too much to do about Klipsch or speakers, but wanted to tell you how I do appreciate your words... and the values I got in my bedroom.

Thank you and all the people who post doubts, info and help!

DiEGO, from Argentina.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 4/26/2004 6:21:51 AM HornEd wrote:

My Yammy is the same as Avman and (my hero) Q-man enjoy. ----------------

nice of you to think of me,HornEd, and while i 'enjoy' the sound and build-quality of the yamaha RX-V3000,alas, it is only 'by proxy'. that is to say the only yammy RX-V3000's i have heard are those i have INSTALLED over time,or had in the showroom.

i AM-however-VERY HAPPY w/my 'let's show them what we can do when we do it all the way right'Sony STRDA777ES 63lb. made-in-Japan(like the RX-V3000)receiver!! i have been around Sony ES for quite awhile, and this is the best surround receiver,IMHO,that they have ever made.

i would like to hear the new ES digital amp-equipped ss receivers ON KLIPSCH. i have heard the new digital amps on 'nice' sony Extended Definition(B&W-knockoff-looking) speakers, but MUST hear'em on HORNS to make a judgement call.9.gif

avman.

Actually I believe humans can detect 1db of difference and most frequency specs are given at -3db because they are the half power points. I have both a Denon (AVR-3300) and a Yamaha (RX-V2095).

My Denon is connected to my Legacy Focus(mains)/Silver Screen(center), T&A P-30(surrounds) speakers which sounds very impressive. I have Klipsch KG4 (mains), KV3/KLF-C7 (center), RS-3 (front and rear surounds), SW8 upeer sub, ACI Saturn lower sub connected to my Yamaha.

Most people who listen to the Yamaha/Klipsch system which is about half the cost of the Denon/Legacy system are just as impressed. The Denon is a more refined system, better for music and is more 3D than the Yamaha. The Yamaha is very dynamic and is great on home theater media. I can't say I hear the harshness everyone talks about, but the Yamaha doesn't project as much into the room as the Denon.

I plan to purchase a new receiver within the next month and I've looked at the Yamaha 1400/2400 as well as the Denon 3803. The specs are impressive on both, but I believe I'm going to go with the Yamaha 2400 because of the video upconversion, YPAO, bass management and their user adjustable formats.

As far as reliability, I've owned Yamaha gear for 30+ years and have never had to repair any of it. The Denon had a known fan problem which would whine when the amp heated enough to make it go into high-cooling mode. After the fix I didn't have any other problems. One thing you might check with the Harmon is if they have discrete outputs and not ICs. The discrete outputs are better able to dissipate the heat and have better separation specs than ICs. My trhee top mid-fi line would be Denon, Yamaha, and Onkyo.

My $.02, go with the Yamaha and don't concern yourself about the harshness. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

----------------

On 4/30/2004 1:18:22 PM kfalls wrote:

My $.02, go with the Yamaha and don't concern yourself about the harshness. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

----------------

I second that motion. I just picked up a Yamaha HTR 6550 AV receiver and I gotta say, it spanks my "old" Denon sound-wise.

I have heard that Yamaha had a bad rep in some circles as being inappropriate for Klipschorns, etc. Well, I can personally state that that is completely BOGUS.

The fact is, I really like it's sound. Cleaner, clearer and more transparent on all sources compared to the Denon.

The Denon cost way more when it was new, to boot! I guess that I got taken on that deal.

I am a satified Yammie AV user with Khorns on the mains.

I do want to mention ONE caviat: I am using a McIntosh stack on the Khorn mains by using the pre-out on the Yammie. So I can only report that as far as the preamp in the Yamaha is concerned, it is quite clean. There is, however, the THX sound to it (something on the high end of the spectrum) that I cannot define but can only say that it DOES sound like a THX movie theatre sounds...

On the "bad" side: the Yammie in question does not allow for rear L/R distances being different from each other, and the Denon does. But no matter; the benefits from listening to the Yamaha outweigh the so-called defects in my humble opinion...

DM2.gif

Yammies being harsh..Well I have to say back in their "Natural Sound" series days Yamaha was definitely an ear bleeder for the high mids and up. I was strictly a Denon type back then. Those days have long since past. I have traded my old Denon for a Yamaha RX V3300 and find no harshness of the days of old. Actually its pretty smooth. My La Scala's and Heresy IIs sing beautifully with this unit.