kg 5.5

mlh

I sure appreciate all the good info on this site. I'm expanding my HT and would like some input. I have a pair of KG 4.5's that I'm using as fronts. I'm thinking of using them as rears and getting a pair of 5.5's for fronts. I'd like to replace my KV 1 with a KLF C-7. Would this work? My receiver is a Dennon AVR 3801 and I'm using an SVS 25-31 sub. Thanks, Mike

mlh,

Allow me to offer my experience in this area. I started with KG 3.5's as mains, KV-2 center and KG 2.5's as surrounds. Through research on this forum and the prompting of several members, I found and purchased KG 3.5's for all speakers. Best money I ever spent in my HT. I modified (never done it before, but it wasn't hard) one of them to make what is famous around this forum as a "HornED modified center Channel" speaker. The difference in the sound from the old to new setup was astounding. To my ear it is the OPTIMUM sound per dollar spent. Very, very clear sound reproduction. The important point I am trying to make is that ALL the speakers have the IDENTICAL voice. That is the secret. Do a search on this forum for "HornED" and you will find many threads detailing the virtues of his timbre matching method.

Guess what I am saying is that you are on the right track. If you don't want to do the speaker mod thing, a KV-3 will work for the center. IMO, if home theater is your primary use KG 4.5's all around will cost less and do just as well as adding 5.5's to the front. I don't believe you will see much sound benefit from the 5.5's unless they are also going to do "music duty" as well. The 4.5's do come up on ebay (there's a pair out there now) and you might also ask on this forum of any are for sale. The guys here are always upgrading...9.gif

Good luck!

redtop

Redtop is right (on both accounts). Going from KG4.5s toKG 5.5s will only get you a little more bass and only 1dB more efficiency so it's not really worth the effort or cost. I have debated this before so you might want to search old threads. I have KG5.5s as mains and made myself a custom center (using the horn from a KG5.5). I also wanted to let you know that that I have a long KG4.2 for sale. What is your HT setup like? You might be able to modify it and use it as a center (much like Redtop did) -- or for a few extra bucks I might modify the motorboard for you! FYI, in case you didn't know the KG4.5 and KG4.2 are 95% same speaker. They both use the same horn tweeter and a 10" woofer, it is just the older KG4.2 is in a smaller enclosure and uses a passive radiator for venting whereas the KG4.5 uses a port for venting (but sonically you wouldn't know the difference). Let me know if you are interested and I can email you some pictures. One more thing to note, both the drivers in my KG4.2 are already video shielded and the passive radiator has been replaced with a port.

BTW, the C7 might be a decent match at center but it pale in comparison to using a KG4.2, 4.5, 5.2, or 5.5 (which all share the same horn tweeter).

----------------

On 3/17/2004 4:04:03 PM STL wrote:

Redtop is right (on both accounts). Going from KG4.5s toKG 5.5s will only get you a little more bass and only 1dB more efficiency so it's not really worth the effort or cost. I have debated this before so you might want to search old threads. I have KG5.5s as mains and made myself a custom center (using the horn from a KG5.5). I also wanted to let you know that that I have a long KG4.2 for sale. What is your HT setup like? You might be able to modify it and use it as a center (much like Redtop did) -- or for a few extra bucks I might modify the motorboard for you! FYI, in case you didn't know the KG4.5 and KG4.2 are 95% same speaker. They both use the same horn tweeter and a 10" woofer, it is just the older KG4.2 is in a smaller enclosure and uses a passive radiator for venting whereas the KG4.5 uses a port for venting (but sonically you wouldn't know the difference). Let me know if you are interested and I can email you some pictures. One more thing to note, both the drivers in my KG4.2 are already video shielded and the passive radiator has been replaced with a port.

BTW, the C7 might be a decent match at center but it pale in comparison to using a KG4.2, 4.5, 5.2, or 5.5 (which all share the same horn tweeter).

----------------

Hey STL,

Thanks for the help. I like your advice. My HT setup right now is pretty basic. I have a KV-1 Center which of course I would like to upgrade. My problem is I have a terrible room to work with. It's a big open space that includes the kitchen and living room and has high ceilings. So if I take your advice on modifying a KG 4.2 like you have, where do you put center speaker? Do you lie it on top of the TV? What does a "long KG 4.5" mean? Let me know how much you want for that speaker too please. Do you have any suggestions as to how much I should pay for a set of KG 4.5's or 5.5's? I'm looking to get a new TV, a Hitachi 57S700, so I would like to get some more cool Klipsch speakers. The rear speakers I'm using now are some old things that were given to me, so I definitely want to match everything properly if I can. Look forward to your input, thanks,

Mike

mlh,

It was a typo -- I meant "lone" not "long". I used to have the KV-3 (the best center speaker that Klipsch made for the KG series -- note the KV-4 matches the Epic series and not KGs) and always felt it didn't keep up with my KG5.5s. That is why I built my own.

Placing the lone KG4.2 would be the tricky part which is precisely why I asked about your setup. It would need to go in front of or on top of your RPTV -- in either case you'd probably want to lay the KG4.2 on its side. Some people have put big speakers directly on top of the TV's without any problems, but I have big entertainment center surrounding mine so the custom center speaker in on a shelf above my RPTV. I suggest to watch eBay for awhile to get a good idea what KG speakers are going for. While it is crucial for HT to have the front three speakers match, you can deviate a little on the rears. Keeping that in mind, you could use any of the following smaller speakers for rears: KG3, KG3.2, KG3.5, KG2.5, KG2.2, or KG2. I'll email you some pictures of my KG4.2 and get you a price too.