NAD 541i or Cambridge Audio Azur 540C?

whadyasay

Hello All,

I had an NAD 521i for a short time, but I found it a bit too rounded in the high end. I can get either an NAD 541i or Cambridge Audio Azur 540C for the same price brand new. Both have 24-bit 192-kHz DAC's, a Burr-Brown for the NAD, a Wolfson for the Cambridge. What should I go for? Thanks.

Hey Whadayasay, how are you liking the NAD T163, I have one and I love it. I tried a B&K Ref 50 briefly but did not care for it operation and functionality so I searched and searched and ended up with the NAD T163. I recently had to return mine for a minor issue and they gave me a new one. It had a different remote and some upgraded features from the first one I had. NAD does not waste any time updating things I suppose. Great thing about the NAD is there are not a ton of them out there (that I have seen anyway) so that makes them kind of unique.

I like it quite a bit. I had a Denon 2803 that I was using as a pre/pro, and although it was outstanding on DVD 5.1, it felt lacking in music, especially 2-channel. And since I probably listen to more music than movies, I went with the T163. It blows away the denon for music...much warmer and fuller....a better match for my Klipsch speakers through the Marantz MM9000 amp. I had a small problem with the OSD scrolling at first, but NAD actually got back to me on this and told me how to cure it with a simple button combination, and it fixed it right away. I'm really curious as to what sort of software upgrades are available, but I use a Mac, not a PC, so I'd have to borrow someone's laptop in order to link up. I think the Denon 2803 had the edge in terms of surround processing, though...at least using the digital inputs. However, using the same 5.1 analog outputs from my Denon 2200 as I use for SACD's (speaker setup/bass mgmt. and all), DVD movies sound even better. The only kick is that using the 5.1 analog outs negates the rear surrounds on DD EX and DTS ES soundtracks (rear surrounds hooled up to an Audiosource Amp Two). Not a real biggie. I'm just looking to chose between the two CD players mentioned above. I'm leaning towards the Cambridge, because from what I can gather, it's built better.

NAD has the C542 out now that has gotten very good reviews. I have had the C540 for 3 years and it has sounded great. The NAD players play HDCDs and the Chris Isack HDCD Baja Sessions sounds better than any DVD A or SACD I own. The only other HDCD I own sounds terrible. Later this year I may get the C542.

Xman

Cambridge might be just that little bit smoother. But if you ca do some DIY, just replace the pamps and giving it a Class A bias really smoothens the NAD out .

Also Damping the transport mechanism with Blu tack improves it further :)