Uh-Oh, University Speakers!

fini

Yesterday,while looking through a used furniture shop for a desk for my mother-in-law, I came across an interesting pair of University speakers. They look similar to these (from a 1957 ad), but are a wee bit smaller, I think, and are vertical (not lowboys). Having my mother-in-law and wife with me, I was not able to examine these too closely (2.gif ), but I'll return today or tomorrow with a screwdriver and a digital camera. They seemed to be in good shape cosmetically. They were asking $99 for the pair, which seemed decent. Not that I need any more speakers myself, or have any spare cash. Anyone familiar with these? From what I'm reading on the web, there's some relationship between Altec and University Sound, but certainly Altec has a much greater following.

1957-1.jpg

Fini---University was pretty good. For 99 bucks they're worth it for the cabinets and parts.

If you don't like the sound sell the drivers and put Altec DuPlexes or VOT components in the cabinets. Or JBL parts, those are cool. Yeah, every horny needs to do JBL sooner or later, there you go.

Fini you fool, run back and get them.

Remember when I built The University Classics? I Wrote a lot of post about them.

There were two build styles, mine being the harder build and the one you have pictured. Look inside and see if it is a folded horn. If it is take them home and A/B them with your Klipschorns. You won't like your Klipschorns anymore. They must be the best speaker that I ever heard. You will never hear bass like these reproduce.

post-2405-13819253522014_thumb.jpg

Remember these now?

They don't go as low as a Klipschorn, but they will bring tears to your eyes.

Rembember Mike Lindsey? I helped him buy a pair of LaScalas and refiniched them for him. I gave him a demo of different LaScalas, Klipschorns,and networks. When we were done I let him hear the Classic. He literally began to cry when he heard it, but part of that was because he didn't like his LaScalas anymore.

post-2405-13819253524384_thumb.jpg

Well, it was more than just a "wee bit smaller." They're 19" wide, 32" tall, and 14" deep. As you can see through the groll cloth (thanks to the flash) it's not a folded horn. It may not even be a University speaker. The only brand name is on the brilliance control. It's looking like some sort of homemade job to me now.

Q-Man,

Yes, now I remember! Sorry, I was mezmerized by the bar stools!

univ_1.jpg

univ_4.jpg

univ_3.jpg

univ_2.jpg

post-3580-13819253525594_thumb.jpg

It looks like a couple of drivers are in that box.

I thought at first they where University 312s but I think Brennen might be right.

The University 312 was my first guess based on the brilliance control and the flange shape, but the flange shape looks more like JBL than the old University 312.

invert.jpg

----------------

On 3/21/2004 11:52:09 PM JMON wrote:

Fini: Are you sure it's not a safe?

----------------

9.gif That had crossed my mind...

I don't think it would be a safe purchase, though. The seller wouldn't let me open 'em up. I even brought my own screwdriver! Hey, maybe it IS a safe!

There might be a JBL horn up top, too. I felt a rectangular cut-out through the grille cloth, thinking horn or port. If that's a PR in there, then most likely a horn. Hmm.... The cab's only 14" deep. I'd sure like to take a look in there...

buy! buy!! fini!!! I'll be glad to motor up your way and pay the $99 (plus fini tax)... and even introduce you to my Swiss Miss in person! I would like to try them as Front Effects speakers on my latest six Khorn Home Theater. -HornEd

Oops, check signals EDit post... and be sure to pick up the next "real" Folded Horn University pair that you find in the local barn sale for $99. Sorry, fini, I thought you may have had something to challenge your WAF rating this time! -H.E.