Echo when I play my cable box thu my AVR

J.4knee

When I am watching TV and set up to listen to everything through my AVR I just started getting an unwanted subtle echo. This happened before and I was able to rectify it by setting my "Front effect speaker to on" even though I don't have any. The echo occurred when I had that output turned off and used my Mains instead. Now its back and I cannot find its source. I have my distance to my speaker from the listening position set exactly to what they measure. I've tried changing room size, delay nothing seems to stop it. When I play a DVD that has a multi channel output it does not occur. Same for Multi channel CD's. This problem is vexing and driving me nuts. I like to rent an occasional movie from my cable provider and enjoy the surround effect. I have a digital audio out of the box to my AVR and the movies don't produce the problem but regular TV produces this echo. Could it be the lack of available channel data to process? I am hoping some of you more seasoned HT types can get me straightened out here. Thanks

Jim

sounds like your defalt setting for the tv mode is se to a hall effect. When it see's DD 5.1 it goes to that and when it does not see it it goes to the defalt setting. I like to use 7.1 stereo for my defalt but Prologic II if you like it would be ok for the defalt. Each input has it's own defalt.

Is the volume on the TV turned off or muted? I get the same echo through my satellite if the TV volume is on at the same time as the speakers. I have the sateIlite connected to both the TV and my receiver for decoding ProLogic II. Don't really know why the sound gets to the two different outputs at different times - maybe it has something to do with the speed at which the signal travels through the different cables but the length is so short that it seems unrealistic to me. Anyway, I just mute the TV or turn the sound off completely in the menu, same as when I watch a DVD.

OK it occurs when I have my system set up for the TV/Theatre option on my Yamaha receiver. I have video only going to the TV, so yes the TV volume is off. It does not occur in DTS or DD surround modes only in this option. I can select either Movie Mono or Varity/Sports sub mode setting under TV/Theatre and I get the echo. It did not used to do this so I am a little perplexed; I have not changed my speaker placement or anything. And as I said no other program on my receiver does it. When I set up my speakers I matched my front cable lengths L to R and my rear L to R although there was not real need to do that. As I indicated earlier my distances are set exactly from my listening position and even if they werent Id be hard pressed to look at that as a source of the problem since only occurs under this receiver mode selection.

Get the AVIA disk....it has a test where it plays CLICKS....and then you can hear where the echos occur for different Sound programs on your receiver.....kinda a neat test...to see which gives echos and where and how much time delay....

might help....I dunno....

----------------

On 3/26/2004 2:30:59 PM ygmn wrote:

Get the AVIA disk....it has a test where it plays CLICKS....and then you can hear where the echos occur for different Sound programs on your receiver.....kinda a neat test...to see which gives echos and where and how much time delay....

might help....I dunno....

----------------

Yeah, just pop that disc in your Cable box...