considering a new 5-channel amp...

b-man1

I have been wanting to switch to components for a while...I have a Denon 2802 that could be my pre/pro and I would start with a nice 5-channel amp.

I got a quote on a Parasound Halo A52 amp for $1700 ($2000 MSRP)

Thoughts on that price? I have searched online but can't find much other than places asking for $1995 and up. I was going to go with B&K, but my regular dealers I purchase from do not carry them.

Thanks for any input...

Brent Huskins is one of the biggest Parasound dealers in the nation, and quite a few of the Parasound owners on this forum, myself included, got remarkable deals from him. He also is available for you to call with any questions at any time. The company is called "Media Designs" based in Fort Worth, Texas, and you can look up the info on Parasound's website dealer locator.

----------------

On 3/23/2004 1:25:43 PM Fish wrote:

With the 2802 I would not spend more than 1k on any amp... Only with higher end pre/pro would I spend 2k up on an amp.

----------------

But even with that ideology, wouldn't buying the better power-amp now give the option of upgrading the pre-pro later down the road? Just a thought, as my upgrades have always been incremental (one component at the time).

great info...thanks all! i can see how the 2802 is the limiting factor, but i will get a pre/pro at some point...just not immediately, so the higher-end amp is justified.

i'll see what kind of deal the vendor mentioned can provide.

thanks!

i spoke with the Texas vendor and he was VERY helpful. great pricing as well...looks like i may have found my amp. i'm considering the C2 controller as well...ooooohhhh........life if full of decisions. hehehe 2.gif

only thing i'm waiting for is the house i'm moving in to! yeah baby!

----------------

On 3/23/2004 3:21:19 PM b-man1 wrote:

i spoke with the Texas vendor and he was VERY helpful. great pricing as well...looks like i may have found my amp. i'm considering the C2 controller as well...ooooohhhh........life if full of decisions. hehehe
2.gif

only thing i'm waiting for is the house i'm moving in to! yeah baby!

----------------

Uh oh...the upgrade bug bit you twice! That's what always happens. You go into the market for one component, and end up lugging a trunk full back.

maybe a foolish question...but i see Outlaw has a few pre/pro + amp packages at low prices. i'm guessing it's safe too assume the parasound equipment is in a different class than any of that? i haven't read up on all of them that much...but don't want to make the jump blindly. hehe

----------------

On 3/23/2004 6:26:29 PM b-man1 wrote:

maybe a foolish question...but i see Outlaw has a few pre/pro + amp packages at low prices. i'm guessing it's safe too assume the parasound equipment is in a different class than any of that? i haven't read up on all of them that much...but don't want to make the jump blindly. hehe

----------------

In my opinion the Outlaw gear, while nice, are entry level seperates. The Halo gear costs more and that's for a reason.