Room Size?? (RF-35's & Sound)

MPNX2

I just got my Klipsch RF-35's to go along with my RC-35 center. I have these speakers paired up to a HK AVR7200. I hooked them up and I wasnt too impressed with the sound. I am not blaming the equipment but I think it may be the room itself. The center speaker is on top of the TV and the couch is about 8 feet away. This puts the RF-35's about the same distance. Behind the couch is the fireplace on the wall and its probably 4 feet from the couch. The sound seems to be muddy I guess and not much bass. All in all it just sounds sloppy. I know I havent had much time to play with it yet but I thought I would sound better than it did. The TV is in a corner of the room at an angle and the RF-35's are beside it between the couch and the TV is a coffee table which are all at the same angle as the TV. The room itself is probably 14X17. Does distance play are part in how the speakers will sound? Should I have them away from the wall for the port on the back to work??? I have the RF-35's setup as Large and the center set as small. Is there something I am missing?? I have tried to attach a pic of the room but have no program here at work to do so with. I will attach one when I get home. Please help me out guys....

did you stick your speakers to wall without leaving it breathing spaces? Except the center speakers both front you have to leave around 10inches to let it reflect the sonud(remember this is 2way speakers). Try to play around with the large/small settings.

HK's reciever is tend to be warm. If you don't like it's warmth, you can say that is muddy. And people also complained CD replay sections are quite weak in this reciever, maybe you should try some DVDs via digital signals.

I did move them away from the wall and this did help. Also I set them to large and then turned off the surrounds (I have some cheap RCAs) and turnd off the sub in speaker setup ad it helped some more. I may duble check my connections just to be sure that is setup right. I guess I need to get some surrounds (RS-35's or RB-35's) and an SVS sub if I want to get serious.... I am also looking atgetting a brickwall surge protecter. Those should sure help. The RF-35's will probably sound better the more I use them.....

You've got some very nice gear and it should sound great. Double check the polarity of the speakers and make sure they are in phase with each other. A setup DVD like Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune Up or AVIA will help confirm this.

Are you running a digital cable (optical or coax) to your receiver from your DVD player or are you running the six analog cables? You want to run some kind of digital cable at first to let your receiver do the decoding and handle bass management.

Lastly, your sub could have been set too "hot". Try turning the volume down on the sub itself. Also, are you using a line level connection to the sub (RCA cable) or speaker level (running speaker wire)? Try using the line level connection and set your cross-over to 80Hz. I know you've set your speakers to large, but you may want to check that anyway. (You may want to try setting them to small and enabling your sub and let your sub handle all the really low stuff. This usually clears up the midrange and it gives your receiver more headroom.)

Enjoy your new gear and ask questions!

John

Thanks for the compliments its always nice to know that other people like your equipment!!!

I dont have a sub right now but that is next on the list as well as some RS-35's or RB-35's. I am running digital cables fromth DVD to the receiver. I do need to check the polarity to the speakers with my AVIA disc. Thanks for the help....