Projectors: why buy from US?

Ou8thisSN

Okay, so my parents greenlit the idea of getting a digital projector to "complete" the HT experience. We saw and fell in love with the Sharp XV-Z10000U pj. Needless to say, retail is too expensive, so I looked online for one and can get them, new, from japan, at less than half the US MSRP. So I asked on AVSforum to see how they felt about buying online from japan. Most said to be suspicious of Ebay dealers, and said "well if you need service, it has to be sent to japan... and who wants to deal with that?". I thought that was a good point, as getting it serviced by a SharpUSA would be easier.

Then I read a horror story about a man who paid retail for a sharp12k, and the iris was broken, and had to send it into SharpUSA twice, and they failed to diagnose the problem, and sent it back to him in the same way. He was very pissed and likely so. A bunch of people responded saying, SharpJapan is much better at customer service, and tech service than SharpUSA, where the techs are lazy or incompetent. So this to me indicates that SharpJapan would be a better place to buy from because they actually will like respect the customer. Plus, someone also said that SharpJapan has a 0 dead pixel policy, whereas SharpUSA has a disclaimer in the manual about a few can occur.

To further complicate matters, SharpUSA offers a 1 year parts/labor warranty on its products, while SharpJapan offers 3 years. The dealer I want to buy from is very reputable, and has sold nothing but projectors for the past 3 years on Ebay from Japan, with all positive feedback. He even said that if I were to have a problem, he would pay shipping both ways, to get the PJ to him, so that he can get it serviced from Japan, a process that would take only 4 days.

After hearing all this, I'm really wondering why I should buy from a USA Dealer? Why would I pay more for like seemingly bad customer service, and less warranty?

The two PJs are identical, and have the exact same features.

btw, he says I can save some money if I dont buy through him directly from Ebay. I told him to split the escrow fee and he agreed.

What would you do?

well, if I do use the escrow service, which I plan to, all conditions and such will be in writing. I have emailed 2 previous customers of his, who bought the z10,000from him and left him positive feedback. neither even used the escrow service, but I feel more comfortable to use it, as my parents dont want to take the risk. If you buy it from japan, is it considered grey market?

price is around 4900 USD incl shipping.