Baby's have arrived....looking for good food to feed them!

MarvinG

My first KLIPSH/SVS/HK experience ..

Well, I finally got my new Klipsh RF-35 towers and RC-35 centre connected (RS-35s are still in the box ready for weekend mounting), along with a new SVS 20-39 PCi sub, all driven by my Harmon Kardon AVR 525, with my modest ULTRALINK twisted pair wiring, in my 11 x 17 den.

I threw in a Jazz CD (in the Panny DVD player), calibrated nothing (yet) and hit play. WOW! I just sat on the couch and smiled. I hadn't been in this 'time and place' since I was a teenager.

What a nice sound - crisp, rich, tight, warm ,full ..all at the same time.

I threw in Armegeddon, was joined by my teanage kid, and when the meteors hit, she just yelled ' oh my god!" and she too was smiling!

And its all WAF compliant to boot! Does it get any better?

I know I have hours ahead of me in terms of getting all the settings done up 'correctly', but that will come in time.I am also on a learning curve with all the HK formats/options re Dobly, DTS, Logic 7 etc. Each one makes a difference. How does one really choose?

I also noticed these babies use premium gas only! Some other CDs like James Taylor (with quality warnings on the label about them being original analog recordings) sounding quite muddled in comparison. I guess kLISCH tells no lies and you hear both the good and the bad.

Now fortunately, I dont yet have a CD collection.. over the years, the kids took over with burining MP3's for the walkmans and the cars, and I have only a handful for the den.

Should I be looking at dedicated CD player? SACD? DVD-A?...and looking into buying only certain types of CD's??

Thanks

Marvin

Welcome to the club! As for a dedicated CD player... it's your choice. The all in one Denon units are nice but can be pricey, so it's up to you if you plan on getting DVD-A or SACD. I think the DVD-A's are really nice I like the whole 5.1 surround recording as to 2 channel. I do not have any SACD's to compare as of yet but I am sure there are numerous threads on the subject. Once again, Congrats!

----------------

On 3/25/2004 6:58:50 AM MarvinG wrote:

My first KLIPSH/SVS/HK experience .

I also noticed these babies use premium gas only! Some other CDs like James Taylor (with quality warnings on the label about them being original analog recordings) sounding quite muddled in comparison. I guess kLISCH tells no lies and you hear both the good and the bad.

Congrats on the Klipsch,they don't lie.I had the 7200 for a week,my entire cd collection(about 700) became almost unlistenable,harsh and congested.It wasn't the cds,the same ones now sound great.The more complicated the music the worse it sounded ie rock.For HT,slow blues or clean jazz it was ok,the music in 2ch was baaaad,running through my 2900.Now my megachanger sounds like a 1k cd player.I've learned alot about preamps,it cost me too,it made more difference than anything I've ever done,biwire,high dollar cables,1k player and all.I'm sure you're not ready to upgrade anymore but when you do check out everthing available,you'll be surprised.

----------------

I would like to follow up on your comments.

Are you saying you found your weakest link, which was at the heart of the problem, and that weakest link was the HK 7200 , which you replaced with a Rotel Rsp1068?

Granted ROTEL is a fine prodcut, but I thought this forum (and others) confirmed that HK and KLIPSH as a great match? M

My HK525 (not even a 7200) is no match for a ROTEL, but surely it a very respectable amp.

Marvin

Marvin,

I am running an HK 525 with RC-3IIs and an SVS25-31 PCi. It sounds GREAT with music (any good source). Don't fret, HKs have very good amps for the price. Just make sure you calibrate the entire system with an SPL meter when you install everything. This makes a WORLD of difference. For two channel music, here's what I've found sounds best:

run in Stereo mode: SURR OFF

Set the main speaks to LARGE

Set the sub crossover to 40 or 60 HZ (I like 40, then it just fills out the extreme lows)

set tune in the volume of the sub on the receiver (it will remember different levels for different listening modes).

Crank it up.

For multi channel, just use an SPL meter with some calibration disc (I use Digital Video Essentials), and give your sub a little bump up if you like the bassy stuff! The imaging improves GREATLY after calibration (you can clearly hear sounds BETWEEN speakers.)

Hope this helps!