Purpose of S-video on your receiver when you can hook it up directly?

Hensley300

What are the advantages to hooking up my s-video cable on my dvd player or dss directly to my receiver rather than hooking them up directly with my tv? The receiver doesnt process the video or improve it any right? I have my rca's run through my receiver already so I can listen to movies through my surround sound. IM using a sony es-3000

So you can merely switch between sources on your receiver instead of having to switch video inputs constantly on your TV set. Most people have more than one source that uses SVHS connectors, i.e. Sat Dish Receiver, DVD, S-VHS, Tivo, etc. It is alot easier to just select the source on your receiver and have it route that output to the monitor out S-VHS connector rather than having to keep switching video source inputs on your TV. Some newer receivers can up-convert SVHS signals to the better component level outputs for an improved picture. If you have a very simple one component system then by all means hook it right to the TV, it is just better to have the receiver handle all that since that is what it is designed to do. Most TV's only offer a single or dual S-VHS inputs anyway so you will quickly run out of inputs.

----------------

On 3/25/2004 4:18:11 PM ygmn wrote:

one drawback...is more dayum wires on back of receiver....which is a nightmare already with just AUDIO cables.....hehehehe

----------------

LOL!

The more the merrier, right?

I love doing complex systems for clients. When they look behind the receiver and see that mess, they gain a whole new respect for the $69/hour I charge to do it for them! 9.gif

Wow $69/hr I am in the wrong business. I have done it for free for my brother in laws they even suggested I should take it up as a business. My system is so complex there is no way in hell I could just hook my DVD to the TV. All the cables I need alone are worth about as much as the preamp, you don't realize it until you need to get everything connected.

----------------

On 3/26/2004 12:08:44 PM Frzninvt wrote:

Wow $69/hr I am in the wrong business. I have done it for free for my brother in laws they even suggested I should take it up as a business.

----------------

I'm cheap, even for this general area. There's a shop about an hour to the west of me that charges $95/hr, including drive time.

PS: That's exactly how I got into this business. People would come to me (when I was working at BB) with the most bizarre stacks of components, and I'd sort it all out for them, draw maps, sell them high-dollar interconnects, and send them on their way.

When my bosses finally gave me too much crap about the sorting and the drawing, I said "to heck with this" and started sub-contracting as an HT installer. Then I decided that subbing wasn't worth the aggravation, so I ventured out on my own. It's scary, because consulting by itself doesn't pay that kind of $$$, but if you're willing to invest the sweat and capital, the actual installations pay nicely.