MC225 vs. CJ MV-50

lorcoll

Lorenzo,

I cannot comment on the CJ, but I used to have a MC225. Certainly a musical unit (very refined mids/highs), but not much bass....at least not enough for my taste....so I'd rather went after different vintage amps (see my sytem profile).

Wolfram

I have made many tests with good PP tube amps on my KH's (including a recently acquired pair of MC-30's...), but I still have to find an amp that does better bass than the HK Citation II. By "better bass", I mean tuneful and controlled lower frequencies which - at the same time - are delivered in perfect harmony with the rest of the spectrum. Try one of these amps and you wont be dissapointed...

If you mean "whomp whomp whomp" kind of bass, no the MC225 doesnt do that. If you mean bass that sounds like a bass-particularly a accoustic bass, yes it does that very very well IMHO. I think its the most musical amp I have ever heard ( I have owned MC 30s and liked them very much as well) . I have to say that running my MC 225s as mono blocks takse them to a new level indeed! BTW I think that the vintage Mac amps sound better with modern pre amps you know less bs in the signal path and all that.

josh

Lorenzo,

Regarding the purchase of the MC 225 on ebay. I am not sure where you live so I do not know if this is practical. I bought my second MC 225 from Audio Classics. Everyone says they are expensive but I bought a very nice one that had been recaped and brought up to factory specs for less than a lot of junk goes for on ebay! Since then I had them re cap my other one and again it was very reasonable.

josh

This AudiogoN 8b looks like a real beauty! If I had to choose between this amp and the MC225 (mine was restored too), I'd still go for the Marantz. If choosing between MC225 and MC30s, it'd be the 30s. Choice between the 8b and the MC30s would be quite tricky, both are excellent but their respective tones are different.

Wolfram

Thanks for all replies, but yesterday a friend of mine has tried on my system an Antique Sound Lab AQ 1007-2A3 (Push Pull of 2A3) and I am still now incredulous on what I have heard (warm, clean, dynamic, live, divine highs and perfect for the Khorn: PWK used a PP 2A3).

He can sell it to me for about 900 Euro and I think I'll buy it.

Do someone knows this stereo amp (the latest models are only a PP of 300B)?

Edster,

I still own the T16 which is an excellent amp, very well suited to KHorns. Its sonic signature veers towards the analytical side of neutral and - as with every amp out there - should be well matched with ancillaries to deliver the best of its particular strength which, in two words, is to portray music in a cool, almost "intellectual" way. But, at the same time, the amp is very musical without any harshness or mechanical rendition of the musical event. Something which, IMHO, is no mean feat for any amp...

This said, the T16 looses hands down to the HK Citation II regarding bass slam and control. Still, although the HK has not the classic "valve sound", these two amps are quite different in their approach. Much more different than, say, between the HK and the MC-30's.

Aristidi,

Nice to see you posting on the Klispch forum again.

Still got that ZTPRE and still love it.

How many amps do you now own? It was dozens when we last spoke....

Also - what ever happened to that amp you were building with half a watt of power, and the mass of the Titanic, for the KHorns?

Hi Max,

The amp is alive and well and you can have a look at it at: http://aca.gr/paper31.htm

I try not to count amps, so I do not stop building them or, for that matter, buying some classics I like...Space is becoming tight, though.

For the time being, I have just finished a headphone amplifier -preamplifier using... er OP-AMPS (OPA627's) which is quite promising and I am also about to finish a tubed MC phono stage which I hope and believe will be noiseless as well as first class. Let's see if my instincts will prove right...