What compares with Denon 3803/3805?

kenratboy

What receivers compare with the Denon 3803/3805, or the $1000 area?

Just kinda fishing around and seeing what there is. Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, etc.

This would be for a RF-35/RC-35 system.

I like the Denon, but I know little about Yamaha and Pioneer's offerings.

Thanks!

Elite 53TX/55TXi???

I don't read too much about Yammy.............. for HK there's AVR7200(actually this lies on 2000msrp range but now it's $800 on streets)

The Denon 3805 would be nice for it's touch screen remote....

I saw several guys sell their 3805 as 2nd hand already..... I don't know is that not good or they just buy it for comparing the sound.

For $700 range..... common comments are 3803 blows 53TX away when 53TX wasn't calibrated with it's auto MCACC, and 53TX blows 3803 after it calibrated. I'd stick with 53TX in this situation(pressing several buttons for auto clibration isn't a hard job)

Ok,here ya go,forget the mass mass mrkt,I had the whole slew of 1k avrs,3 and 4 at a time piled up in my floor.The Denons are the best w/music on Klipsch at the 1k spot imo,spend 200 more and get the Rotel 1056 and you will have moved up to a new level for cheap.The 1056 is one fine avr for slightly over 1k,its as close to seperates as you're gonna get cheap.I have the 1068 and a Parasound and its given me a whole new outlook on audio.I been tryin' to find a 1k avr to satisfy my musical needs but they all sound like avrs.I bet you I can choose a 1k or less avr blindfolded compared to seperates.All the 1k avrs shout through my 7's,some way too much and some like Denon only a little.The 1056 is so close to the 1068 in pre/pro and you still get 5ch amplification,add a 2ch amp on the front end and you got 7.1 or zone 2.Just listen and you'll see,I wish people would have been all over the place recomending Rotel 1056 for $1200 when I went through my pile o'avrs.You can plug it in to your computer w/supplied cable through hypernet and upgrade as you go,it comes w/PLIIx and the whole lot new,what a deal.

I'm sure the Rotel is nice, and I'm not knockin' it at all, but imho, at 1k level it is nigh on to impossible to beat the three you mentioned as far as performance and features per buck. I have the Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi, and I'm happy with it (when it ain't in the shop 7.gif) but if I were buying today, the Yamaha RX-V2400 would probably be my choice.

Oh, and if the sound seems a bit forward or lean or whatever, you could always add the amp of your choice at a later date, and use your receiver as a pre/pro.

Can't really comment on the Rotel, but I just snagged the H/K 7200 - so far pretty impressesd with it. Manufacturer link below:

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.asp?cat=REC∏=AVR%207200&sType=C

Got it from J&R Music World pricematched with Onecall.com.. worked out to something like $784.00 with 2nd day UPS. Pretty killer deal for what you get.

----------------

On 3/28/2004 4:34:33 PM kenratboy wrote:

Tell me more about the Rotel. $1200 you say? That is very doable. Any back panel picutres?

Thanks!

I really need a new receiver.

----------------

You can download the manual if you haven't already at the Rotel site.If you can find a local Rotel dealer you should be able to take one home and audition.We all have different preferences but it is one to audition in that price range.