Outlaw 950 Paired with??

Gun

Has anyone auditioned the 950 with both the Outlaw 770 and a Rotel offering?

I like the fact that the 950/770 combo is made by the same people and that the 770 is already a 7 channel amplifier, but it seems like Rotel is the preferred amp on this forum.

Any input will be appreciated.

I will be using all but 2 of the following: An Academy, RSW-12, 4 Fortes and 4 KG4's. After testing, one pair will go to the family room for 2 channel use.

Thanks,

gun

You'll find quite a few people here who really like it paired with Klipsch though..."best" is pretty subjective. I think Rotel, like all companies, makes some models that are excellent at their price point, others not so. They are typically thought of as "entry level" audiophile. Ultimately, ignore everyone here's opinion, listen for yourself, and buy/keep what sounds good to your ears, that's all that really counts.

If Rotel is "entry level" audiophile, I'd say Outlaw is "pre-entry".

However, I believe both are very good for their price. I have heard Rotel straight-up with Klipsch against more expensive set ups and perferred the Rotel, but those are just my ears. I've also heard the Outlaw, but with different speakers, different time, different room... so hard to compare. I did like what I heard, though I noted some "humming" at low volumes.

Many people like the Rotel with the Klipsch because they are very quiet and neutral - good qualities to match with a sensitive speaker. If you can, test them out at home and judge for yourself.

From what I hear, Outlaw's support is hard to beat and you can certainly get a faulty unit from any maker in any price range.

The hum I heard wasn't bad - and didn't hear it at all when you turned it up a little bit - just at very low volume. I wouldn't characterize that unit as faulty. If you're getting a little hiss, then it may be that the Outlaw equipment isn't as quiet as some others. If you don't notice it at reasonable volumes, and like the sound quality, nothing wrong with that. For me, I have a 3 year old at home. There are times I have no choice but to listen at low volumes so very low noise was key for me when I was in the market. Of course, after getting it, I've found I rarely listen to it at low volumes. I just wait for her to be in bed and shut some doors!

2.gif

Thanks for all the input!

I just found Rotel's MSRP list - Wow!!

Opinions here and elsewhere seem to lean towards Rotel, but by no great margin.

OTOH, the price difference looks to me like Rotel should blow Outlaw out of the water. (Outlaw 950/770 ~ $2500 w/shipping vs Rotel RMB-1095, RMB-1080 and RMB-1068 ~ $4700 without shipping).

I guess Im down to choosing between the Outlaw 950/7100 or 950/770.

Thanks again,

Gun ;=-

That combo price is much more attractive than for the combo I cited SteelerFan, thanks.

I just got a price of $3060 for those items, that includes delivery and there isn't sales tax here. I have about a month to think on the situation.

Before I started reading this forum, I defined bright as something that made your eyes squint, not your ears....having owned 4 KG4's combined with a Yamaha R9 receiver for around 15 years, I can certainly relate to the audio definition! I have to admit, all the Klipsch/Rotel owners who have used the term "warm" to describe their setup has my undivided interest 1.gif

I initially planned on an HTIB and would use the KG4's in the family room. Then I realized that after listening to TV and movies on the above system, that even with surround sound, an HTIB just wouldn't do. Another thing is that I bought Forte's - after doing a/b comparisons with my KG4's, I fear that they just are not going to suit me in the HT.

So if I proceed with this purchase, I guess the KG4's are going to the family room afterall, and I'll have to get another pair of Forte's or Chorus' to finish off the HT (and now audio room).

Geeze - I think I am now officially ate up with the addiction 11.gif

Welcome to the fold Gun! If you decide on the Rotel then I wish you luck and hope you love it!

KG4's were the first set of Klipsch speakers I ever owned. They have a wonderful sound. I ended up trading up for Quartets and then traded up again for the Forte II. I still have them in my 2 channel set up.

I can relate on the Yamaha Klipsch sound, I've been living with it for years and just this week purchased new equipment that I'll be setting up tonight. Wish me luck. 9.gif

----------------

On 3/31/2004 5:56:18 PM SteelerFan wrote:

----------------

On 3/30/2004 10:39:32 PM Darren wrote:

Come on Steelerfan - don't leave us hanging. What did you get??

----------------

I'm fixing to bang out a new thread telling you all about it!
9.gif

----------------

As we sit hit on the edge of our seats and wait with baited breath.....11.gif

Yes, do tell!

Anyway, I've never heard Rotel or Outlaw, but B&K sure does mate well with Klipsch. Unfortunatly, B&K components are a bit more than the Outlaw gear, though. Anyway, for the price, the Outlaw sepearates should be very good, and will certainly be better than just about any reciever that is out there (except for maybe the uber-high-end recievers, such as the B&K AVR-507 or the Sunfire Ultimate Reciever).

----------------

On 3/31/2004 6:55:18 PM skonopa wrote:

----------------

On 3/31/2004 5:56:18 PM SteelerFan wrote:

----------------

On 3/30/2004 10:39:32 PM Darren wrote:

Come on Steelerfan - don't leave us hanging. What did you get??

----------------

I'm fixing to bang out a new thread telling you all about it!
9.gif

----------------

As we sit hit on the edge of our seats and wait with baited breath.....11.gif

Yes, do tell!

--------------

Hey now...remember I was exited for you when you bought your new B&K amp. And you were bragging before you even had it!2.gif

----------------

On 3/31/2004 7:07:17 PM SteelerFan wrote:

Hey now...remember I was exited for you when you bought your new B&K amp. And you were bragging before you even had it!
2.gif

----------------

Oh yes, and it still kicks-@$$ six months after I bought that thing! Got Queensyrche's newest album, "Tribes", cranking on that thing right now. Damn does that ROCK! 9.gif.

Yeah, there was a hint of sarcasm in that statement I posted, but in seriousness, I am thrilled you got some new gear. Now of course, it is hard to get really excited until we found out what you actually got. For all we know, you could've went and got a friggan Bose Life$tyle system. 6.gif

Shortly after I posted that, I saw you started a new thread! That is cool - I bet that NAD gear will be awesome. Got it hooked up yet?