Got some old Aiwa speakers... Will it hurt to blow them?

om13934

I've got some pos aiwa speakers. I've been itching to hook them up to my denon avr. the speakers handle 5.4 watts peak at 3.5 ohms. My 1804 will put out 90 watts at 8 ohms. Is it safe to crank these suckers for fun or is there a possibility of damaging my avr? Thanks.9.gif

Rather tan kill them, why don't you take them appart, salvage the goods and build some new boxes for them?

I mean hell, we had... Damn who was that... Created a speaker using a peanut butter jar. I'm sure Klipsch didn't worry about the compitetion, but it was sure funny to look at.

Have fun, be creating with them, don't blow them to hell just because you can. 2.gif

well m00n, I was going to do that, but the screwy things have screws way down inside, and I don't have a screw driver long enough to reach them. Only other thing to do would be smash the plastic cabinet around them. Also, I think the tweeters are already blown, and the drivers are about 2.5-3 inches. Like I said earlier...POS. I'm just not sure whether its worth the effort to take them apart. Otherwise I would probably build a new cabinet and combine the two into one speaker.

----------------

On 3/28/2004 2:28:08 PM om13934 wrote:

well m00n, I was going to do that, but the screwy things have screws way down inside, and I don't have a screw driver long enough to reach them. Only other thing to do would be smash the plastic cabinet around them. Also, I think the tweeters are already blown, and the drivers are about 2.5-3 inches. Like I said earlier...POS. I'm just not sure whether its worth the effort to take them apart. Otherwise I would probably build a new cabinet and combine the two into one speaker.

----------------

Get them blown and get a pair of Klipsch would be your choice 9.gif

----------------

On 3/28/2004 4:38:09 PM easylistener wrote:

Go ahead and toast them. You will be supprised at how much it will take to blow them. Receivers have a saftey and it will protect itself.

----------------

Yeah, you might not even be able to toast them. Do it in a well ventillated area, because that smell...

haha, i was just gonna suggest plugging it into the wall! if you're not comfortable doing that, try hooking a bunch of 9-Volt square batteries in series (you can connect them in a chain without any wires)...me and my bro connected about 40 of them once (360V DC). man that was like instant frytastic (he electrocuted himself too by touching the two ends on accident, rofl). 10.gif