Push Pull 2A3 or SET 2A3?

lorcoll

Daddy,

I have not purchased Wolfram's Wright 2A3s, after we had agreed on the price because I don't wanted a 120Volts amp that needs an external AC converter. I'm sorry for this because Wolfram was a nice person with a good communication. So I don't tell about the Wrights.

I have newly connected the DRD 2A3 (I think for the last time) and the sound of the two amps (the other is the ASL 1007) is absolutely not comparable.

After two hours I have reconnected the ASL and the musicians have returned in my room: Ben Harper, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Joni Mitchell, David Crosby, Bill Frisell, Pat Metheny, Peter Erskine, all are present simply with naturalness and full realism.

For the money, I think everyone can give a chance to this PP 2A3 with the Khorn (the best marriage in my 30 years of

"audiophilia").

Ciao from sunny Italy.

----------------

On 3/29/2004 12:32:42 AM Griffinator wrote:

Indeed, of all the inquiries I've had from the forum since I started carrying Wright Sound, the most constant question is "do you have a 2A3" - thankfully, George made sure I did - a PP 15 watter.
----------------

Griffinator,

It had gone over my head before if you'd posted on your business. Am I understanding your post to mean that you are in business selling audio gear and that you carry Wright amps? Have you got a web site you'd post? I'd like to visit. Thanks.

Yes, around Christmas my wife and I drove up to Wolfram's place in N. Germany (from N. Italy) and bought his Wright 2A3 SETs and the Wright preamp. This was the first time I had listened to any tubes since I sold (practically gave away) my Dynaco ST-70 way back around 1967. The stock ST-70 simply sounded awful when driving AR-3's, which were very power-hungry. For many years I had been using a Dynaco ST-150 (ss) driving Altec VOTT's (~1974-1982) and then my present Khorns (1982-now). The difference between the ST-150 and the 2A3's is like night and day. I don't think I've listened to anything else!

Well, I did perform a little experiment with one of the Wrights. I asked G. Wright for instructions, and then converted one to use a #45 output tube (~2 watts vs. 3.5). I had intended to convert both of them, but I just couldn't hear any difference between them, other than the fact that the 45 didn't go as loud. I never heard any distortion at all. I don't think my ears are as sensitive as some other people, and I wasn't able to A/B them rapidly. But I also can't tell any difference between different tubes that's I've rolled, including 12AU7's and 6SN7/5692-they all sound the same to me-probably a good thing! Just to see what would happen, I hooked up the #45 to drive one of my big Earthquake subs. These are also folded horns, with 18" drivers and HUGE magnets. It drove it pretty well-not too loud, but I didn't hear any distortion at all. I tried a CD with very low bass, and it went all the way down, very clean. But of course the volume couldn't compare with what I get with the 75 wpc Dynaco (I now use that amp. to drive the Earthquakes).

SO, I converted the Wright back to the orig. 2A3. Guess I'll have to sell the few #45s I bought.

So there are at least 2 pairs of Khorns in Italy!

Benesesso