looking for a sub to complemnet my RSX-4 set up

I need a sub for deep bass for movies. My Klipsch Ultra+SWS work great for music, but fall off at about 25hrz for movies. the RW-12 can be had for $430. What else should I be looking at in that price range. I dont have an external amp. I know a lot of you are going to say PB-1 ISD and PCI-25-31 or whatever the thing is called. But they are a good 150 dollars more and Im not sure they are that much better. They sure as hell dont look better. Any other suggestions? I'm pretty set on the RW-12 even though I have never heard it. I wish I could get an RSW-10 but thats just out of my budget. HSU does not really appeal to me. I'm not big on carpet spikes nor down firing woofers. Infinity has some stuff I like, and possibly energy. But the RW-12 looks to best everything in its price range

Looks are very very deceiving when it comes to SVS. Unfotunately, when it comes to Klipsch the middle man is really taking a chunk of your cash, so you'll always get a lot more bang for the buck with SVS. I love Klipsch as you can see, but for a sub there's no comparison. It may be hard for some to buy without listening first, but you have no idea how happy you'll be.

If you heard a side by side comparison you'd see what I mean. 1.gif

However, if it's worth the extra cash to be able to see the woofer and if the looks of the RW's are worth spending the extra money (and sacrificing some output), then the RW may be what you're looking for. I guess it comes down to sound vs looks. I just hide mine in a corner anyway so I go for the sound.

sorry, i guess the 31 inch is only tuned to 25hrz. Its pretty much the same as the 2039 with a lil more compression and out put above 30hrz range (im guessing)

but still, I have a hard time buying something i can't see or hear in a store. Its like im going on faith. And its not that I doubt you guys, its just that If the cheap SVS's are not much better then a rw-12 i'm gonna be pissed i got something so ugly that was 150 dollars more then I wanted to pay.

Please don't take this as anything derogatory Klipsch. I love em.

But any money spent on a KSW, RW, or RSW would be much beter spent on an SVS. I understand the markets for both, but I prefer getting more for my money as opposed to retailing/advertising. They're just simply different.

There are websites that bring together those in your area who would like to listen to "internet only" sold subs. You really do need to take a listen to them if that's the only way you'll buy. I don't think a lot of people understand the difference until it arrives at their house and they give it a good low frequency testing after calibration. Usually it's a resounding, "HOLY SH**!!"

Just one more thought. During my most recent visit to my high-end home audio retail store we had a conversation about subs. The associate wouldn't mention them by name (actually, he eventually did), but he said that SVS makes the best subs in the world for the money, hands down. He said they would sell their souls in order to be able to retail these things and couldn't recommend me buy one of his instead of an SVS.

Hey

I have this rw-12 it is a great sub.... it does the job very well. But i guess i am from the Rock and Roll era the older stuff , the bass notes are there but not like todays hip hop music , I have a 15 year old who plays that stuff on my system , she turns the bass up and just loves it . hope this helps