RC3 problem?

I've been noticing a "static-like" sound coming from my center channel (RC3)when there is loud vocal content playing. It only occurs at higher volumes with high frequency sounds, like when a character screams on a DVD or loud high-pitched singing on a CD. It almost sounds like distortion, but I wonder if it has anything to do with the source material. Does anyone have any insight?

hmmm,.....try this...

Swap the wire to a speaker that does not make this noise....does the sound go to this new speaker?.....if yes then problem is from wire back to source somewhere....

Now if the crappy sound still comes from the same speaker you may have a bad speaker

turn everything off.....and push in the woofer a little bit....does it slide smoothly? compare to the other woofer...is there a difference?...if rough...then probably a bad driver....

ya gotta diagnose where the problem is first.....

good luck

• 2 weeks later...
Guest klipschomatic

You need to make sure that your amplifier doesn't have the problem. If you try another speaker that you aren't experience the static with on the amp channel that you are experiencing the static and it is fine then it is the speaker. Then you need to listen closely to the speaker to determine whether the static is coming from the tweeter or one of the woofers. If the static is coming from only one woofer and it is a floorstanding speaker, then it is likely you have a bad woofer. If the static is coming from both woofers, then you likely have a bad crossover. If the static is coming from the tweeter, then it could be either, but is more likely the driver. Klipsch should cover either issue as long as it isn't due to abuse or flood.

I have had the same problem. I have came to the conclusion that its the source material most of the time. I have another HT set-up in my basement with smaller paradigms and a cheap receiver. I can hear the same "distortion" while playing it through this set-up as well as my RC-3. I think I hear it more because I play the klipsch's louder and also they reveal more of the sound.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

Oh yeah..one more thing..not only did I have this same crackling on my Klipsch's, my paradigms but also my cheaper speakers I had with my first HT. That is why I think its the source. I have been thinking about hooking up my Fortes to try to see if they give the same sounds.

• Like 1