VERY BIZARRE, Importance of matching Reciever and Speaker

Beesley

Good morning all,

I noticed something and it brought attention to me on the importance of selecting the best reciever for your speakers. For 30 days I had a H/K DPR-1001 connected to KLF-20s and music sounded fantastic. I returned the H/K to continue saving for something better, so I am still using my old pioneer vsx-d811s. Well I mentioned klipsch speakers at work and a coworker said he had an unopened box of 5 quintets he got off a mis-marked price for 27 dollars. Needless to say he offered them to me for 150 dollars.

I took them home and hooked them up(with sub) to my pioneer and..........well.......they sound better than the klf-20s (with sub). Wait, let me say that with the H/K the 20s BLEW THE QUINTETS OUT OF THE WATER, but with the Low end pionneer the quintets sounded better.

Now let me explain the conclusion I came to. 20s are very revealing and will make known and exploit the deficiency of of poor equipment and recordings. They will also make known the sweetness of good equipment and good recordings, they are that good. So I realized through all this that if you have great speakers, you better get great equipment to push them or your speakers will be given NO justice. I never realized the importance of reciever speaker matching until now

I have never experienced exactly what you did, but I did have an experience with speakers revealing the shortcomings of a receiver. Once upon a time in a galaxy far far away (at least it seems that way...lol) I had a decent sounding 5.1 system consisting of KG 5.2 fronts, a KV 2.2 center and 2 promedia surrounds, which I drove with a JVC 888AV receiver. The first upgrade I made was in speakers to RF 3s an RC 3 center and RS 3 surrounds. Upon hookup and fire up, I quickly made the wrong assumption that I had made a big mistake selling off my KGs and going to the Reference system. The sound was overly bright and almost screechy and got on your nerves quickly...sort of like someone running their fingernails over a blackboard if you will. I also noticed that the low frequencies sounded thinner than I expected. I went online and got recommendations from memebers here to give the RFs a chance to "break-in" so to speak. Well, three weeks and maybe 200 hours of playing later, everything still sounded pretty much the same...intolerable. Even though I really couldn't afford to at the time, I went out and purchased a Denon 3801 receiver just to see if it made a difference. I chose the Denon because so, so many people here had said that it was one of the best receiver combos with the Reference speakers. I made sure that I bought the receiver from a local retailer with a good return policy just in case that didn't solve my probem. Needless to say, that receiver never went back. The difference was nothing short of a magical transformation. All of a sudden I was hearing the smooth, solid, aggressive sound that everyone was was talking about in the RF 3 series.

Jerry Rappaport

Jerry touched on a few good points,if it ain't pretty good its gonna sound like krap on Klipsch.You said the HK was fantastic but you want something better,fantastic is hard to beat.I tried a few HK's and it was not fatastic,it weren't even very good.The Denons did a good job at not sounding bad,just a little boring after a few years.The Rotels give my set up a whole new sound,very musical and makes listening a pleasure.Cheaper speakers w/a cheap avr sounds better than Reference/Heritage with a cheap avr,you're right about that.Just listen to all you can when you do get ready and take recomendations w/a grain.

I should be more clear on my lingo...The H/K was the only H/K I heard at the time and compared to the pioneer it sounded fantastic. Since then I've auditioned the avr-630 and it is definately a step up from the DPR-1001. Most noticibly in driving the lower frequencies and channel seperation for home theater. I have looked at Rotel, my mind says yes but my pockets say not yet.

Good speakers (like Klipsch) absolutely reflect what you feed them. The old expression "crap-in, crap-out" is true (and likewise, great sound in and your Klipsch will treat you right). You are spot-on, matching your speakers and components is much more important than most people consider.

Dude,

Whenever I turn on music with my pionner it seams like I have wax in my ears cause it sounds so muffled, like someone put a couple of sheets over the drivers. Funny thing is I don't have to a/b it with another reciever, its pretty noticeable. Its not a defect, just not a good match. So the moral of the story is if you have good speakers PLEASE, get good components to drive them. If you don't do it first, you just keep dishing out money. When you do finally find the components you like, sometimes you may realize you ultimately could've bought the one you really wanted with the money you spent.

Ahh, as is this intense audio hobby that, if you are not watchful and discerning, can take hold of your life. Sometimes we need to appreciate what we have and be able to sit down and simply enjoy God's gift of hearing. All of us want the best product for what we spend, but the truth is it should'nt be the most important thing in our life. It's just been revealed that having my pioneer connected to my speakers is better than having nothing connected to my speakers. All of us are struck with curiosity; I wonder how this would sound, there's something better out there, the "new" model has come out, is 7.1 that much better.....etc. And that in itself is perfectly fine, but when it manifests and takes a hold of our lives, as it once did to me, then we need to sit back and be thankful for our blessings, for what he have already been given. I did not intend for this post to take this route, but someone out there is neglecting their family because of this, and it needs to stop. Electronics are great, speakers are great (especially Klipsch IMO), this BB is great.....but don't make it an obsession, its not a god.

I am grateful for my klipsch speakers and pioneer reciever, and one day I will upgrade (the pioneer, Klipsch are staying.)Until then I will listen with joy and appreciate what I have.

Well spoken Beesley!

The "Joy of Klipsch" that we all know and love is in the detail and naturalness that greets our ears... especially the unforgiving horns of PWK... and its best with the equipment, source and room that Klipsch loudspeakers deserve.

The "Misery of Klipsch" that we all know and abhor is in the detail and unnaturalness that greets our ears... especially the unforgiving horns of PWK... when less than the best inferior equipment, source and room that Klipsch loudspeakers do not deserve.

May you find the "Joy" now that you know it exists... -HornEd