Horn shape wall inserts for RC7s.

m00n

As some of you may know, I've decided to change out my RS7s for RC7s. This will give me 4 RC7 side surrounds and 1 in the rear. Also as you may or may not know, the RC7s are rear ported thus causing a bit of a delima, well two of them ...

I need to save space, RC7s will stick out from wall to far.

Again as stated RC7s are rear ported.. Need room behind them.

SO with that... Should I build a horn shaped insert? Will a horn shaped insert help or not make a bit of difference? If so, is there any recomendations on the dimensions? I plan on standing my RC7s up on end like towers as well as tilting them down towards the seating position....

Thanks for any help.

Rick, there's more to the design of a 'horn' than what you describe. IMHO, if you are going to angle the RC7's out from the wall towards the listening area, you'll probably have enough room behind them to not adversely affect the port(s). I doubt building some kind of recessed 'horn' shape, as you put it, for the rear ports will be of any benefit & may in fact make things worse. Use the KISS method!

artto,

I agree with you on KISS.. My delima is though, that I don't have a very wide room as you well know, these RC7s stick out even further than the RS7s, my biggest reason for building the inserts is so that I can get a little bit of room back so people are not hitting their heads on them when it's dark in side, not to mention it would just be nice to have more room between surround speaker and seat.

I don't really have time to draw up what I was thinking this minute, but I will later tonight...

Also You have an message.

why not open up wall cavity between studs that goes to back side sheet rock....

stop it where you want the speaker to sit....and build shelf there....

Then let this opening go upwards a way say 6" or so above speaker then install piecs of sheetrock to angle up to original interior wall sheetrock....mud tape sand paint.....

That is close to what I'm thinking about I don't think it's going to be enough. Those are only 2x4 studs. I'm thinking I will need to bust into the other room at least 4" to 6" for what I'm wanting to do. I really want to pull the speaker into the wall some... That being the case, I'm going to end up with a huge enclosure. It would seem safe that 6"s on all sides would be approporate. If my room was 2 feet wider, I would not worry about any of this. i would keep with KISS approach as artto suggested.

KISS method? Anything to do with the band?

Ha, Sorry mOOn....I just have to laugh on this whole thread lol, I have similair problems myself.

It seems when we first build something like our theater rooms, we have an idea in mind so we go ahead and build. Then someone somewhere brings up another idea which we haven't thought of and then we start contemplating changing things. It's a vicious cycle I would say!

After reading the few threads on your theater woes, I start thinking about redoing some of mine. The sound deadening stuff really has me thinking. I have that wall of cd's in the rear of my room, so I wonder if I removed them would I benefit any from it? Also I know that any hard surfaces such as glass etc.. just causes problems, so who knows? I may just post some pictures of each wall in my room, and see what other people would suggest?

----------------

On 4/4/2004 11:55:52 AM Joe Shmoe wrote:

KISS method? Anything to do with the band?

Ha, Sorry mOOn....I just have to laugh on this whole thread lol, I have similair problems myself.

It seems when we first build something like our theater rooms, we have an idea in mind so we go ahead and build. Then someone somewhere brings up another idea which we haven't thought of and then we start contemplating changing things. It's a vicious cycle I would say!

After reading the few threads on your theater woes, I start thinking about redoing some of mine. The sound deadening stuff really has me thinking. I have that wall of cd's in the rear of my room, so I wonder if I removed them would I benefit any from it? Also I know that any hard surfaces such as glass etc.. just causes problems, so who knows? I may just post some pictures of each wall in my room, and see what other people would suggest?

----------------

KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid. 2.gif

Yep, I thought I had it all figured out, then I started hearing about room accoustics... I just had to go open up that big can of worms.

Your CD rack could be causing losts of high frequency reflections which may or may not be a good thing in your room. But yea post some pics lets see what you have to work with. 1.gif