DTS question: No sound!

Juba310

I seem to be having problems playing DTS movies. Whenever I try to play a DVD movie in DTS by selecting it on its audio options, I get no sound... as if it were mute. My reciever is a Pioneer (see my sig for model number) and on the front of the receive it has a little logo that says it supports DTS encoded things. DVDs work fine in Dolby surround, but on the several DTS movies I have tried, it doesnt output any sound. Does anyone have an idea of what could be wrong?

You don't mention what DVD player you are using, but I'll just assume it is capable of outputting dts, and that you are using a digital connection to hook it up to your receiver. If all that's okay, go into the DVD's set-up menu and make sure you have the dts set to "Yes" or "on" or "enable" or whatever. That is usually the thing people miss.

Hmm... thanks for the responses guys...

The first dvd player that I've used is hooked up to that reciever via rca cables, but I can switch that with coaxial... should that fix it? My dvd player is pretty crappy one that I received as a gift about a year ago... its some no name brand, and I highly doubt I still have the instructions to it...

Also, currently I have my xbox hooked up to the reciever as my dvd player. This is connected to the reciever using the stock xbox to rca cables... can I get it working using this?

----------------

On 4/4/2004 1:36:50 AM Juba310 wrote:

Hmm... thanks for the responses guys...

The first dvd player that I've used is hooked up to that reciever via rca cables, but I can switch that with coaxial... should that fix it? My dvd player is pretty crappy one that I received as a gift about a year ago... its some no name brand, and I highly doubt I still have the instructions to it...

Also, currently I have my xbox hooked up to the reciever as my dvd player. This is connected to the reciever using the stock xbox to rca cables... can I get it working using this?

----------------

You'll never get DTS out of a pair of stereo analog cables. You need to hook the X-Box up with an optical cable to get DTS out of the source disc. Unfortunately for you, that means you'll also need to buy the X-Box adapters to get that optical out, as X-Box doesn't come stock with a TosLink out.

----------------

On 4/4/2004 2:32:46 AM Juba310 wrote:

gah....

but, if I hook up my cruddy dvd player to the reciever with a coaxial cable, it should work?
----------------

Depends what you mean by "coaxial cable." If you mean digital coax (usually an orange plug), then yes. If you mean a screw-in plug like you use for cable TV, then no. Also again, make sure the DVD player has a dts logo, and go into the setup menu to enable Dolby Digital and dts.