What I ended up getting, was: Bose Bad Foam

Grateful11

I had to take the whole system or none. She wanted it all gone. So I ended up with: The Bose 901's Series IV with bad foam and the Series IV Equalizer, dbx 3BX Series 2 3-Band Dynamic Range Expander, Dual CS-506-1 Turntable with an Ortofon TKS 55 E cartridge, Sherwood S-8600 Receiver 60 watts/ch., Sharp DX-C3510 6 CD Changer, and an MCS 3570 Cassette Deck. The wife wants to keep the changer. I think the rest is going. I may try and fix the speakers or try a guy I've dealt with in Lexington that has done foam surrounds for others. I got back just in time because someone else was standing behind me ready to take it if I didn't. I know the cassette and the CD player are basically worthless on the resale market. I checked for the bad foam as soon as I saw them, thanks to a word of warning on here some time ago. It's been a while since I've heard set of 901's and wasn't that impressed with them then or now. I knew there was no way they could sound like anything with the bad foam. The dbx expander works great but I've never messed with one before. She had almost all the manuals for the equipment. Got all for $180. Now I need to try and get some of it on eBay before the Speakerlab woofers and Pioneer stuff ends, I'd probably get more activity with a good mixture on there.

Grateful

Actually, that's a pretty good deal. If you go through the agony of refoaming 18 little Bose drivers , you should do well peddling them.

I'd look into keeping the DBX. I have the same one and use it for vinyl and FM; it really opens up the sound. The only issue I have with mine is that you have to adjust the transition level on almost every piece to keep the red and yellow lights even (balances your upward and downward expansion). If you decide to sell it; you'll get your $180 back and more on it alone.

Good Luck!

Andy

Actually the DBX 3BX Series II was one of the less desireable versions of the 3BX. If you listen to alot of FM, cassettes, reel tape, or LP's you want the 3BX-III (Series III) or a 4BX. The 4BX processing is identical to that of the 3BX-III but it is remote controllable. The finest unit of the bunch is the 3BX-DS which was the final version that DBX consumer reproduced prior to their demise in 1989/1990. The DS model had a much smoother response and added three bands of impact restoration and an ambience circuit that you could use to narrow or broaden the soundstage. The DS unit was also designed with CD's in mind since it could expand or compress signals. The 5BX-DS was a 5 band version that was the absolute ultimate machine, it was never officially sold in the US. Only around 2000 units were ever produced. If you need any information on the older DBX consumer group products please ask me I have alot of resources and knowledge on the subject.