opinions on setup

BruinsFan

OK - after much discussion here and there, and with lots of feedback from the knowledgable folks on these forums - this is what I've come up with - which isn't that surprising.

Mains: RF7 (possible RF5 depending on costs)

Center: RC7

Surround: RCW5

single rear: RCW5

sub: RSW12 (possibly RSW15, or other brand)

One of the biggest drivers here is that there is such a difference between the RC7 and RC35. Was there ever a RC5? I think i would be dissappointed by taking that step down. The RF35 were good (close to the RC5s i thought) - but not a good match with the RC7. Maybe someone with an RC35/RF35 setup can chime in.

Otherwise - I'm still looking into subs. Got a thread going in the sub forum. Again it's more about size then anything. The RSW12 is be let alone the RSW15. I think the RSW12 will work fine - just hard to tell at this point.

The room - for those not keeping track is an nightmare to setup. 19x19x9. There is a nice flat wall to set up the mains and center. Besides dimensions, every other wall has issues. One side wall as all windows, the other has two open exit ways. The back wall has a 7 foot arch way opening to one side.

The RCWs will be mounted high - about 7 feet - to clear the window. To combat the height - they'll be mounted on it's "side" or perhaps upside down. (ceiling mounted RFR5 were considered but this method seems to have gotten a fewer positive responses from people)

The house is still being built - so I can't try this stuff in the room - so we're going for best guess. The builder will install the RCWs and if I purchase all the speakers through their vendor - I get a pretty good price. Or at least as good as I've found on-line or locally (only one dealer here)

OK - so let's hear any opinions if you have them.

thanks for all thoughts and suggestions so far.

My original plan was RF25s, RC25, two RFR3 and a RSW10 - I believe you people are a bad influence 2.gif

thanks. the way the floorplan is setup is the way it will remain for the most part. She loves the layout - admittedly I do like it as well. Not touching the layout and putting inwalls for the rears helps the argument for larger fronts, center, sub.

I can't comment on the in-wall speakers either, but I may be able to help on the sub issue. I have a large room and tried both the RSW-15 and the RSW-12 (the specs on the two are surprisingly close, and the specs on the 12 are well beyond those of the 10 so the progression up the line is not linear). Anyway, I found very little difference between the 12 and 15 - not enough to justify the extra costs and size (and I had the money and room for the 15, so it wasn't a compromise I needed to make). I've read some good things about the SVS line, but the RSW-12 is a great match with the Ref 7 series - both in sound and looks. My wife is pretty understanding, but having everything match visually made the "sales job" a bit easier for me 9.gif

"My original plan was RF25s, RC25, two RFR3 and a RSW10 - I believe you people are a bad influence" Oh, but you'll thank us later!

"Anyway, I found very little difference between the 12 and 15 - not enough to justify the extra costs and size (and I had the money and room for the 15, so it wasn't a compromise I needed to make). I've read some good things about the SVS line, but the RSW-12 is a great match with the Ref 7 series - both in sound and looks."

That's nearly opposite of what someone else posted - the "theEar" I think. This person felt the RF7s outpaced the RSW12. Interesting how opinions vary. From what I gathered - positioning seems to be key for the RSWs. Going to check into the Sunfires - they seem to be highly regarded as well.

----------------

On 4/8/2004 8:41:00 AM JoeCool wrote:

I would second that view on the sub - Klipsch subs are not all that great, there are much better subs out there in similar price ranges.

----------------

Oh some of the responses could get ugly.

I have not heard too many going from an SvS to Klispch sub but there have been a number going from Klipsch subs to SvS.

Regarding Surrounds I would recommend looking at the RS7s. Currently m00n is selling a pair or two at a great price.

Scott

Don't disregard the Paradigm series either. if your able to go to a upscale stereo shop and compare the Klipsch vs the Paradigm , well, I"ll rest my case. let your own ears do the decision making for you. I have a romm similar to yours and I"m still trying to get my system setup correctly,but not regarding the sub , thats a no brainer for me.

BruinsFan:

I've got two RCW-5s in the rear wall of my theater about 5 ft off the floor and they seem to work great on our 7.1 setup when watching cable TV sources. They do not come on while viewing standard 5.1 DVDs.

Having RCW-5's 7 feet off the floormight be a bit high I think, but it's probably okay. I understand you must clear a window so if you do place them there you will probably have to compensate by placing them sideways (horns outboard) and pivoting the horns down to aim them at your seating area. You may also consider increasing their volume settings just a bit. BTW: When you go to chose a spot above that window, just keep in mind that there is probably a thick header in the wall right above that window, so be sure to allow for that when you make your first hole. Best of luck on your project!

My two-cents-worth on subs: I like my Klipsch RSW-15 just fine, thank you very much! 16.gif

-Picky 2.gif

Can't do the RS7s - wife would kill me. Since I would have to mount the RSWs so high - I'm now leaning towards the RCRs in the ceiling. I heard ceiling mounted rears the other day that weren't as good as Klipsch and they sound better then I expected. Think I can make the RCRs work.

I checked out a local Paradigm dealer. Good speakers. I liked the Monitor 11s - not as much as the Klipsch - but that was more of personal preference then quality. wasn't impressed with the dealer though - had a hard time getting anything to play - was surprise any of the speakers sounded that good given how unorganized they seemed. The guy I talked to recommend the PS1000 to go with the Monitor 11s. That seemed inadequate for those speakers. It sounds ok - but I'm a bad judge of subs. I didn't press the guy since I wasn't going to but the Paradigms anyways. On further review though - I would think that PW1200 would be a better match.

I feel I can judge mains pretty good. But with subs - I'm just not good at hearing all the differences - unless someone points it out. Kind of why I was leaving towards Klisch for that - figure i can't go wrong per se. may not be the best -but their good. I just can't buy something unless I hear it first and there are few that I can find in this area. I went to the Paradigm Dealer because they carry Sunfires - of course they didn't have any in stock.