help with speaker magnet question

montigue

A local speaker guy here owns a shop in Colfax, CA. I was telling him i need the magnets that go over the speaker magnets so I wouldnt get any interferance in the television..I think u call them buckling magnets or something like that?? well anyway he told me I didnt need the buckling magnets, that all I needed was to cover the magnet with a metal can. He says this will stop the magnetic interference to the television. Can anyone confirm this for me? is it ok to do this??

Monty

I've heard this too. Never tried it.

A can made of very special "mu" metal is used on smaller speakers. I found that on some speakers taken out of a Sony TV. They are tweeter size by most standards.

It may be that even real mu metal cans are not effective against the very big magnet of woofers and hence bucking magnets are used.

Any no cost experiment is worth doing in my book.

Gil

a lot of your computer speakers use the "metal can" approach and it is a well-documented methodology...i have a link to a website somewhere that explains it, so if you wanna check it out just ask and i'll hunt it down.

so ya, if you have a big enough magnet-conductive metal can, then it wouldn't hurt to try it out...it's a lot cheaper than trying to hunt down magnets and then bothering to glue them on.

i did want to add though that the metal can generally doesn't work as well as a bucking magnet.

• Klipsch Employees

A bucking magnet works to counteract the magnetic flux of the working magnet on the driver. You place the bucking magnet on the back of the driver so that it "pushes away " from the driver. For added shielding, a cup can be added over both magnets. The opening of the cup needs to be as close to the basket of the driver as it can be.

One of the best ways to help with magnet / TV color problems is to move the speaker away from the TV