Sub for MBR theater

JewishAMerPrince

Hi Gang,

Well, I am in process of setting up 5.1 in my master bedroom. We recently acquired a 46" HDTV and figured it would be a shame not to incorporate big sound with the big picture. So... I purchased a pair of RB15s (after experimenting with RSR5s and RF15s we decided that the RB15s were the best compromise) and a RCX4 as a center and will be installing RCR3s in the ceiling for surrounds. Now on to the all important low end. I am currently using an older Energy EXL10 which does quite a fine job of handeling the bass but is way way too big for a master bedroom. Understaqnd that we don't need the epitome of bass extension or power for THIS system. Just as long as it is clean and relatively inexpensive.

Jerry Rappaport

Are you guys sure those subs are smaller than the Energy EXL10 (a little smaller than a 15" cube)?

As a reference... the image is of the bigger EXL12 sub sitting on top of my 6ft3 DIY sub (which is about the same dimensions as the SVS PB2+) I realise that the HSUs are much smaller... but Im not sure versus the EXL10.

Perhaps an entry model, micro sub, from Sunfire or Carver may be a better choice...

Rob

post-11489-1381925384688_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 4/9/2004 1:20:18 AM formica wrote:

Are you guys sure those subs are smaller than the Energy EXL10 (a little smaller than a 15" cube)?

Perhaps an entry model, micro sub, from Sunfire or Carver may be a better choice...

Rob

----------------

You have a good point Rob. I am trying to get something smaller than the EXL10 and so far most suggestions are for units approximatly the same size so why bother? The EXL10 is an excellent sub, just a tad too big. As for an entry level Sunfire or Carver, I understand them to be at least in the $600 or up range at best. So far my whole system cost (less the TV) is only about $800.00, I don't necessarily want to double that by adding the sub.

I heard this velodyne at tweeter the other day and it seemed kinda boomy but I am sure it wasn't well calibrated.

http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/products/product.aspx?ID=7

http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/products/specs/SPL_Series_II.html

8" forward firing (6.5" piston diameter)

Kevlar reinforced Resin Cone

2-1/2" dual-layer voice coil, inner/outer wound, die-cast aluminum basket

40Hz-120Hz * or bypass for Subwoofer Direct

10.75" x 10.375" x 13"

(27 x 26 x 33 cm)

Jerry,

Why even bother with Velodyne SPL when the elast expensive SPL800 is over $800??? I wonder,then the carver Knight Shadow costs $600 and beats the SPL800 with ease.

You want value,stay away from Velodyne's SPL series,unless you want to spend much more.

I say again,HSU and the new VTF1,small,inexpensive and offers ALOT of performance.

I second the look at the knight shadow sub. I had the chance to listen to a friends and it is quite an amazing little box in itself. The driver on this thing is very intimidating and the output and speed that it put out for its size was extraordinary..especially for its price

-Eric