Question on the care of tube amplifiers

Daddy Dee

When I visit the old electronics folks home, I do notice alot of dapper old resistor widowers, still with the colorful shirts, looking for new capacitor mommas. Later, when I see them paired up again, it seems weird when I see these old resitor guys with the voluptuous younger capacitor babes, but so be it, I am not one to judge......

It is just the way of nature, these old resistors look distinguished as they get older, but I try to warn them that some of these new capacitors, especially the electrolytics, are just after them for their ohms.

C&S

(has anyone tried those French capacitoires?)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Posters:

I used a variac for years whenever I did on location recording of jazz...big band and both church and theatre pipe organ gigs.

One experience in a large church in Boston, when the blower fired up the lights would dim in the auditorium and this church had an endowment of millions of dollars.

My heavily modified Tascam reel to reel would shut down as I had fuses to protect against burnouts.

Once the blower was up to speed all was fine. It was always an interesting experience. The trusty variac and those large Simpson meters always saved my butt.

Best,

Craig Johnson

Lock Haven, Pa.

Broadcast standard equipment. Too numerous to mention!