My HTS

DillonW

Wow!! what a nice home theater you got there! frankly, as long as you have a good sub, you shouldn't worry too much about "missing klipschorns". Your Scalas are great, offering a very similar sound from 100Hz above, and they allow you a far greater flexibility for placement!

Not to mention yours look incredibly smart, with their neat grilles and beautiful black finish! if only mine were like those!

There's one thing "disturbing" me, tough...i see you use your Scalas not toed-in at all...in my set up, when i do that, i get a "hole" in the middle...Also, I would try to put the retroprojector at equal distance from both scalas...but this is nit-picking, and frankly your system looks GREAT!

congratulations!!!

François

• 3 weeks later...

The system looks great. Very well put together. I am in the process of setting mine up and was wondering a few things about yours...

If you switched locations of the sub and the right lascala your TV would then be in the center of your mains. Would this make a difference?

How do the rear speakers sound for the viewers/listeners sitting near them? Are they overpowering or distracting because they are so close and not behind the listener?

It looks as if you're seated quite close to the screen and the Lascalas due to the room size. Is this a "correct" listening/viewing distance?

When you do get a rear center what will it be? You will have to mount it on the wall directly behind the couch aimed downward ...I assume. Again, will this be to close to the listeners?

I have a similar situation and am curious about your impressions of your current setup. My room is only 11 feet deep. My couch is on the rear wall like yours. I have cornwalls and a C7 center about the same distance away from the viewer/listener. I am trying to figure out what to use for rears, the rear center and their placement. What you have done as far as speaker placement is what I am basically about to do.

THANKS!

------------------

Ubid SUX. Be very wary if you use them.

This message has been edited by BigBusa on 10-22-2001 at 08:50 AM

Hi Big - My room is also 11' deep, with my couch against the back wall. I have Chorus mains with a soon-to-be-installed Forte center. My seating position is about 8-9 feet from the fronts of the speakers.

For the rear, I have WDST-style speakers (SS-1) mounted on the ceiling, directly over the couch. It suffices, but it's not as great as it would be if they were some distance behind the couch. Alas, that is not an option for me. If I were to put in a rear center speaker, I would probably mount a center channel speaker of some variety to the ceiling, over the middle of the couch. I don't know of any other way to handle that, unless I put an in-wall speaker directly behind the couch at ear level, but it seems like that would be too close for a good effect.

DD2

• 1 month later...

Sorry I have been unable to answer the posted questions until now...

TheEAR- I have been curious about the sound difference with the use of a tube amp, I have heard many heritage owners recommend them. But since my system is mostly used for home theater, and budget is a consern, I've stuck with my trusty Yammy, I imagine the cost of tubes for an 8 channel system would be substancial. If cost were no object, I would have a field day!!! (Maybe if I sold a couple of my wife's clocks .....)

Shock-Late- Your right on your setup observations... The surround sound would be enhanced with toe-in, but they are so big, and space is limited. The look distracted from the room's overall appearance.

BigBusa- Two factors drove placement of the right La Scala, the sub was short enough not to block the heat vent in the wall behind it. The La Scala would have blocked the heat from flowing into the room. The sub still deflects the vent, but no where near the extent the speaker would have. Secondy, asthetics, it just looked funny sitty off by itself. On the viewing distance note, I am forced to sit about a foot or two closer than I would have(9-10ft). The first day I found it bothersome, almost to the point where I questioned the purchase. By the end of the first week, my eyes had adjusted to my viewing point. I wouldn't move back now even if I could. Its great for movies and sports. Beats the heck out of the our local theaters for sound quality, and its not even finished yet. When I get the rear center (More than likely the KLF C-7) I will mount it on the rear wall, angled downward. I won't know how effective it will be until I try. Anyone else out there with this problem?????

dougdrake2- Ceiling mounting may not be an option for me, but when I get home I'll have to test out a couple possabilities. It will be quite close to the listeners, so I will have to SPL it and make adjustments. Eventually I would love to have a deadicated room with La Scalas at all positions. Who knows when, but you have to dream!!!

Thanks for the comments and suggestions!!! Right now I just want finish my time in Kuwait and get home to my family. Then I get to spend a couple weeks catching up on all the new DVD releases I've missed over the last three months. Any suggestions?

Thanks KLIPSCH Fans!

------------------

Thanks,

Bill Dillon

Mains: LaScalas

Center: KLF C7

Front Effects: None Yet

Rears: Chorus IIs

Rear Center: None Yet

Sub: Velodyne CT150

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V3000

DVD: Sony 560D

TV: Toshiba 61" 61H70

Bill,

Sell one or two clocks.She may not notice. Wink.gif

Then take the green and run(not walk)to the nearest Jadis or CJ dealer.You will not regret the upgrade.This until you will have to explain how you found the grass to get your new toys.

Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears