Seems like this guy needs to raise some cash in a hurry!

Allan Songer

Allan, I need a little advice to wrap up my equipment reviews. I want to pick up three great jazz CDs with a great rhythm section (bass/drums) and another with piano outside of Miles and Brubeck. I would prefer something that is extremely well recorded, but I'll run with whatever you suggest.

I definitely want to spend less than what this guy is getting2.gif2.gif

hmm, I was aghast at the prices, thinking he'd never sell those records for that much. Then I saw some loser "runsgood99" actually bid on them!

Ha ha, what a maroon.

Them's the type of junk that fill up the Goodwill bins up here. Gotta sift through them to get to the Henry Mancini and Montovanni records that they keep hidden on the back shelves.

Randy-

These are RARE records, pal! Blue Note pressed only 500 copies of 1568 including promos, so if you come across one at the Goodwill it would be sorta like finding a Bugatti Royale at the local Pick-A-Part.

Yeah, I'm bidding on it but I doubt I'll get it. It's one of ELEVEN original Blue Notes I don't own . . .

It's amazing to me that you could have such LOUSY taste in music and that mine is so EXQUISITE and yet we both appreciate the same brand of loudspeakers. Was PWK a genius or what?

Sheltie-

The two great recording engineers in jazz are Roy DuNann and Rudy Van Gelder--DuNann worked for Les Koenig at Contemporary Records and Van Gelder freelanced but did his best work for Blue Note. If you want to hear some really well recorded and GREAT rythym sections, here are some suggestions that are somewhat obscure but might well open your eyes.

f32213t4lmw.jpg

A great recording featuring an INCREDIBLE rythym section with Harold Land thrown in on tenor. Butler is as good a drummer as you could ever want, La Faro might have become THE great bassist of his generation had he lived to see his 25th birthday and Hawes was a God.

d59464236f3.jpg The MAN! Paul Chambers WAS the great bassist of his generation (and he barely lived to see 35). He played on COUNTLESS sessions but led just a few dates, this being by far the best. There are no horns on this date, just the great Kenny Burrell on Guitar, Mr. Taste himself Hank Jones on piano and Art Taylor on drums. They burn through a bunch of standards but the kicker is that the bass is the lead instrument.

And finally this one. No piano to get in the way! Just the great Ray Brown on bass and Shelly Manne on drums! One of Roy DuNann's greatest acheivements as an engineer AND one of the great jazz LPs of all time.

B000000YIQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

"It's amazing to me that you could have such LOUSY taste in music and that mine is so EXQUISITE and yet we both appreciate the same brand of loudspeakers. Was PWK a genius or what?"

Allan,

Make that your tag line - its absolutely brilliant!!

Allan, many, many thanks for your help. It's always enjoyable to read and absorb your takes on the musicians as well as the music. If you want to compliment Randy, it would be much more appropriate to tell him he is the green slime oozing out of the television. He would immediately understand the reference2.gif

----------------

On 4/13/2004 8:58:44 AM maxg wrote:

"It's amazing to me that you could have such LOUSY taste in music and that mine is so EXQUISITE and yet we both appreciate the same brand of loudspeakers. Was PWK a genius or what?"

Allan,

Make that your tag line - its absolutely brilliant!!

----------------

wow! his last name could even become a handy verb.

i.e.

'I've been 'Songered'

'If you don't shut up I'm gonna 'Songer' you.'

'That idiot needs a good Songering'

I always liked the 1957 cover rather than the 1955 original ( I have both):

B000000Z5A.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This is a hodge-podge of late 1940's and very early 1950's dates. It's interesting to hear a VERY immature Sonny Rollins looking for his voice and Getz, Mulligan and Konitz all sound good. Miles doesn't do much here and the sonics are pretty lame. This one is strictly for collectors. But if you see a CD or reissue LP for five bucks it's worth checking out.

Allan, I went out on a mission from God, and actually ended up with "Way Out West." Along the way, I picked up Sonny Rollins Volume 1(BN 80911,) Sonny Clark "Cool Struttin'," and "Something Else" Cannonball Adderly. I'm having a very large jazz lunch now, and am really enjoying the smorgesboard.9.gif

Almost forgot, Ray at Vintage Vinyl has Sonny Clark Vol. 2 on Blue Note, # 1558 for $27. It is fairly clapped out, with three series of scratches on Side A and two on Side B. If anyone needs this Blue Note for some reason, let me know. It would be a collection tide me over until you find a better copy, due to its rough condition.

Right you are, Allan. I had a senior moment. How can you tell the difference between a deep groove and a normal? I guess you could compare it to a modern pressing, or are the grooves actually larger and deeper to the undressed eye?

The disc itself was heavier than a normal disc.

And by the way, the majority of Blue Note and other notable jazz albums on EBay are probably rolling through Ray at Vintage Vinyl. He has contacts worldwide on some of the vintage wax. If you ever cruise through St. Louis, I'd be glad to take you over there, and a couple other flagship used stores that we are lucky to have here.10.gif

This is a deep groove pressing. ALL Blue Notes pressed prior to mid-1960 were deep-groove pressings. Note the indentation in the label between the address and the outer text? That's indicates a deep-groove.

59_1.JPG

This is a later, non-deep groove pressing of another early title. It was pressed in 1966, but was a 1958 release. There is a HUGE difference in value (and sonics too sometimes, but not ALWAYS). Notice that there is only an "indentation" and not a "groove" on this pressing! This copy of 1572 if it were NM and a deep-groove is worth about $500--this pressing might bring $125 or so!

6b_1.JPG