New Heritage speakers

Shock-Late

The new drivers are essentially K-55-Vs and K-77-Ms. New manufacturers and new processes have made them smoother, a bit less sensitive and more expensive. The crossover points are nearly the same as the Type AA (390 and 4800). The new La Scala is indistinguishable from my '81s as long as they are in different rooms. If I had them side by side, I might hear something.

It seems that Klipsch had to take over manufacture of the K-77 tweeter. They went back to Atlas as the supplier for the midrange driver.

As the picture shows, the most recent crossover is very complex and we've been told it doesn't have an autotransformer.

Linear X makes a very sophisticated sound measuring and crossover design hardware - software product. I'd think it was used by PWK's sucessors to design the very complex crossover for the K-Horn.

The change in cross over frequencies may seem like a lot. We'd all rather have $6000 rather than $4500. These numbers correspond to the change in the tweeter crossover, converted from Hertz.

However, if you look at these in terms of notes on the piano, it is only a few whole notes. OTOH, the change may have been make to keep the plus or minus 3 dB window more tidy and be able to meet a specification.

There are not many of the new products out there. So we haven't much information on the sound. An A-B test of the new versus old K-Horn hasn't been done by private individuals, to my knowledge.

Gil

I'm no x-over expert but I think that the new network must have sharper slopes and a HF cut-off frequency for the squaker. Previous designs like the AA relied on the natural roll-off of the K-55 at 6KHz and brought the K-77 in at 6db/octave to balance that freq. drop-off even though it was capable of going lower and better suited to do so. (mid horns get "beamy" at higher freq's)

Al K has developed a new sharp slope network for the K-horn and Lascala to use the K55 and K77 to their best advantage. It can be seen at http://www.alkeng.com/. Here is a picture of the one for the K-horn:

extreme.jpg

Rick

Edit:I'm sorry I copied a "small" picture.

post-12829-13819253985172_thumb.jpg