still struggling

BruinsFan

OK the room for those not keeping score- approx. 19x20x9. An acoustic nightmare.

So - I think I've decided on the RF5s, three RFR5 in the ceiling, RC7 in a 6.1 setup. (I like the RF7s but the size makes me wonder about the WAF - think the RF5s are good trade off).

It's the sub - Want to stay all Klipsch - RSW12 or RSW15? I know everyone will say bigger the better - but do I really need the RSW15. What might I miss by going with the smaller one?

Seems like the RF5s kick out a good amount of base in their own right - for this size room - I don't know. I want good clean bass.

Went through the same thing with the center - RF7 is large but I'm worried about the RC35 not matching nearly as well with the RF5s. The website says they do but......

Bruinsfan,

Have you listened to the rF5 and RF7s. When Iwas in the process of speaker hunting I really thought the RF3II sounded closer tothe RF7 than the RF5. The RF5 had a different sound the the 3 or the 7.

I think a good trade off is go for the RF7s and get a slightly larger and clearer pair of earrings for the Mrs.

They are not really that much biiget then the 5's. Now the size difference between the 3 and the 7 is significant.

JMO

Bruinsrme: what about the RF35s? Never heard the RF3IIs but the RF35 sounded a lot different then the RF7s. The RF5s seemed a lot closer. I just can see the RF5s matching the RC7 not the RC35.

sivadselim: I think you just made my point - if I'm turning it down - then I don't need it to be that big.

In a 19 X 20 room the RW-10 will not suffice if you will be even close to reference levels. With your other speakers you will be able to achieve a reference level sound above perhaps 100 Hz but below you will most likely not. I would add the RSW-15, if not for anything else, just to balance out the rest of your system. In some cases the RSW-15 will see it's potential if you're anything but a timid listener.

The RF-5's put out good bass, but nothing like a sub can put out. RF-5's probably start to drop off around 40 Hz. This type of strain is what you won't want. You'll want to set them to small and let your sub do the rest effortlessly. Once you get used to this sound, try switching back to life without the sub and you'll think you were crazy for thinking it was balanced to begin with.5.gif

You don't want to miss the best part of all soundtracks, do you??? 9.gif

And what would you consider a reference level? I almost never listen to anything over 85-90db. I have a small sub to go with my Heresies, and it works fine for me. I also still have most of my hearing. 9.gif

The sub is a tiny Velodyne with an 8 inch driver. But then, I don't use it for HT. I have a giant 13 inch tv.

Marvel

Bruinsfan,

A 3420 cu ft room is no small challenge for an audio system, especially a subwoofer. I would go with the largest sub you can afford within reason. The amount of bass you mains can deliver is not as much of a governing factor as it would seem. Your subwoofer will be called upon to provide the bottom end of the center and surround channels as well as the entire LFE channel. Yes, a 10 or 12 incher may give you satisfactory auditory bass at subdued listening levels but a 15 incher will be able to pressurize enough air at very low frequencies to give you the tactile sensation that is rapidly becoming an ever more important part of the HT experience.

As far as the RFs go, IMHO the presence and effortlessly smooth sound of the RF7s makes them the winner any day of the week over the 5s.

Jerry Rappaport