80's hereseys to bright and no bass

russtri

IF you have recently purchased these, or have had them for some time, The woofers may need replaced. - These speakers only go down to like 60 hertz anyway - They are not known for their bass response. I agree that the treble is very pronounced. These I guess it is the horn loaded tweeters. no way to fix that.

Keith

I have heard of a solution for the brightness.

I don't have personal experience with this and it's just a suggestion....

If they are the original Heresys with metal horns, some of the brightness can be reduced by wrapping the horns with 2 layers of 'Mortite Caulking Cord' It's available at most hardware and home improvement centers.

Perhaps some of the more experienced Klipschsters will know more about this method.

It also depends on the electronics.I have had B&K,Onkyo,Yamaha,and settled on Denon.It's just my prefrence.Yamaha sounded the brightest,Onk sounded to me the best on music,but didn't get it on movies.B&K a bit edgey and hard,couldn't take it long and loud.Denon to me is laid back and sounds the way I like on music and movies,but that's my oppinion.

I have had a Heresy(just one)since 1978 and actualy used it as a center with the highs and mids disconected from the crossover.It was used between 2 old large Rat Shack speakers(1970)to improve the bass.

I will agree they are weak if you are doingcwm22.gifrap,but do a fare job with most everything else.I have a pair of Heresy II's in my bedroom I listen to music with and have a pair of SW 8 II subs,but they sound good without them.

I changed my networks in my old K-Horns to ALK's and I love them.They sounded fantastic before and even better now.But I'm talking pre-plastic horns and my Heresy II's sound a bit different than my old Heresy with the metel horns.

This probably didn't help much,but........

------------------

Main HT:'77 Klipschorns w/ALKs,'75 Heresy center,modified with,K-Horn sqauwker & AA network.

KSP-S6 at sides 2 KSP-S6's rear.

Denon AVR-3801

2 Denon POA-2800 200X2

1 driving the Horns

1 driving the bi-wired Heresy center.

2 DIY 12"4ohm subs,Carver A500x 400 watts per ch.feed.

1 12" powered sub(behind the couch)feed from the surrounds pre-outs.

Sony DVP-C650D.

Dishnetwork Echostar 4700 w/DD

JVC S7600U S-VHS

Pioneer CDL-D501 laser

Music in "Direct"only!

DH Labs T-14 speaker wire to the front 3.

Room size;15.5 X 25' opening into dining room.

Old RCA 52"RPTV w/matching cabinets

Bed room HT:

KSB 2.1 mains,SC-1,SS-1's,2 SW 8 II subs.

2 Heresy's for music.

Denon AVR-2800,Dishnetwork,Sony SLV-975HF VCR,Panasonic DVD-RV31.27"RCA

Russ-

You spoke too soon. There are tons of mods than can be done to Heresys, and they're right here in this forum! I will be picking up my 1980 Heresys as soon as my finances warrant, and will be trying a few of the mods mentioned under "Updating Older Speakers" Check out the thread named "Bright Heresys? Dramatic Fix for Free" and there is an interesting and very easy mod that is also reversible! Good luck!

Russtri,

Before you get into modifications, can you let us know where you've got your Heresies placed? The placement has a HUGE effect on their sound. My Heresies sound great in corners or near a wall on the floor, but when I recently had to put them up on a shelf I was shocked by the total lack of bass. I really mean *total* lack of bass... it was an astonishing change in their otherwise great character.

Placement and room acoustics should receive your attention before anything else (assuming you've not got something broken, of course).

Ross

------------------

"Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana."

quote:

Originally posted by RossVTaylor:

Russtri,

Placement and room acoustics should receive your attention before anything else (assuming you've not got something broken, of course).

Ross

I totally agree with Ross, placement is very important. I have my Heresys placed in corners slighly canted toward the middle. I do not have a problem with bass response, although they are augmented by a small M&K VX-7 sub. This sub has a single 8" driver. My room is also small 14 x12. I have plenty of bass. Not sure what you are looking for in bass, but the Heresys come through in this arrangement for both movies and music. If your room allows experimentation try that first.

------------------

Bill James

Well, you could turn down the treble and get a good subwoofer. If I remember correctly, Heresys are 3 dB down at 50 Hz. Depending on what you are listening too this may not be good enough, even with the effective bass boost you get from corner placement. With a good sub, you may not feel the top end is too bright. My sub is crossed at 50 Hz, about the same efficiency as my Heresys and driven by a 300 watt amp. System sounds great.

When I first got my Heresy 2's they were too bright also. After some playing around we discovered that the culprit was the Yamaha amplifier I was using as a pre alondside the Rotel 1080 power amp.

Once I changed this setup for an Accuphase E211 all brightness disappeared, bass appeared for the first time and I had a truely balanced sound.

You will not get low bass out of Heresy's - they do not go down that far, but for mid bass they truely can perform, as long as the amp will drive the woofers.

My understanding is that the Heresy 1's have less bass - you may want to consider switching the driver for the Heresy 2 model - I believe this works without problem.

Good luck finding a solution.

The Heresey's are placed on 4' stands and are in the corners facing the middle of the room. I am probably just used to my corner horns bass response. Trying to compare each of these, there is no question who wins. Thanks for the replys. Russ