Outdoor speakers

yromj

Can anyone recommend some decent outdoor speakers for ~$100? Do decent $100 outdoor speakers exist? (For that matter do decent outdoor speakers exist?) I'm not looking for anything amazing obviously, I would just like some decent sound on my deck. If $100 is too little, then I'll probably just save up and go w/ some HS-1s.

Thanks,

John

yromj:

First, it's always been dificult to find QUALITY outdoor speakersto begin with. It's even more difficult to find good ones under $100 bucks. 15.gif

I'll probably get flamed for mentioning this 9.gif but even though they have been discontinued, you may be able to find a pair of Bose 151's for sale someplace in either black or white. They're about $150 and do a nice job mounted in the gables of my garage in the back yard.

It seems that just in the last two years, both the quality and the price of outdoor speakers have escallated. I think it's because more people are staying home and enjoying their own backyards, now. So, the industry is naturally trying to capitalize on it. Best of luck!

-Picky 2.gif

if you can find them,one of THE BEST values in an outdoor speaker is the Yamaha nsw-aw1 all-weather speakers!!!

i would suggest skipping the klipsch6.gif HS-1's as i feel there are better values on the market,however ANY of the SA-series klipsch outdoor speakers are really good.10.gif i have 2 pair of SA-3's for my backyard(and the neighbors enjoy them too! )9.gif

avman.

----------------

On 4/15/2004 4:54:24 PM yromj wrote:

avman,

I appreciate the info about the Yammies. I think I saw them when I did a search on Yahoo shopping. Can you sell me the Klipsches?

John

----------------

GET THE Yamaha's if you can find them.

i can sell you the klipsches IF you come to New Orleans2.gif

avman.1.gif

I found a pair of JBL N26AW's(2-way,6") for $109, about a year or so ago. I know these are an older model, but they do have a decent sound for the O/D patio. The JBL mounting brackets were $40 extra, but I had to cave, as nothing generic would work. Still, for $150 you'd be hard pressed to find something much better.2.gif I believe Newegg.com was the source.

----------------

On 4/16/2004 9:09:43 AM picky-picky wrote:

ygmn:

Yeah, I got a pair of Bose 101's, too and you are right: They are still doing a nice job out there! I always bring them indoors, into the garage, during winters.

----------------

All ya have to do is clean them once in a while with a wet rag once in a while.....

I do beleive these were the best speakers ever made by Dr Bose....hehehe

I had them in college and abused them....I had them in last house's garage...and abused them....have them on patio...under North eaves where they get moldy as crap....hence the cleaning...but they still work well

avman,

I'm patiently waiting for some SA-3's. Sounddistributor.com will sell them for $499 +shipping but is currently out of stock. He said two weeks. Any suggestions on other places to look? Any complaints with the speakers? I'll be using them for my patio/pool area and a large backyard, possibly a future outdoor theater.

G2

I've got several pairs of KSB1.1's ( not designed as outdoor speakers) However, would there be any harm in installing them on patio under underhang (which could act as a bit of a horn) so long as there is no way for weather to enter the cabinet through the bass port?

It appears the cabinet is fairly well sealed, plastic, and the woofer cone looks pretty impregnable as well. Has anyone else tried this? Got several pairs at $115 per pair when they went out of production.

PS Indy Ovation stores listed RF5 black for $750 buy one GET ONE FREE- is this a good deal? I'd rather hold out for RF7 or Heritage but if the price is right.....

----------------

On 4/15/2004 5:08:09 PM avman wrote:

GET OFF THE BB FOR NOW AND BUY THOSE SPEAKERS!!!!!!!!!!

get two pair if you can as they will cover an outdoor area better with less 'hot(loud)spots'.
10.gif

avman.
----------------

I ordered a pair of them tonight. I'll let you know what I think when I get them going. Thanks for the help.

John- Who knows wose A/V store to go to in NOLA.

----------------

On 4/16/2004 2:36:45 PM G2 wrote:

avman,

I'm patiently waiting for some SA-3's. Sounddistributor.com will sell them for $499 +shipping but is currently out of stock. He said two weeks. Any suggestions on other places to look? Any complaints with the speakers? I'll be using them for my patio/pool area and a large backyard, possibly a future outdoor theater.

G2

----------------

i have many to choose from, and i chose SA-3's...the BEST outdoor speaker PERIOD!!

my mom and dad have SA-3's under the rear porch,and then SA-2's on the dock and they provide a seamless sound throughout the whole rear yard.

HIGHLY recommended!

avman.