The most beat up RF-7 Driver

Jay481985

As a dealer, that is embarassing7.gif. I would NEVER have a speaker in that condition in my showroom. It shows that some dealers only care about moving boxes but there are still a lot of us who take the time to showcase their systems correctly, regardless of how inexpensive or expensive they are. We take a lot of time to make sure our demos are kept in tip top condition and seeing this shows why so many people are out there buying $399 HTIB systems at Wal Mart and not investing in good audio.8.gif

Kevin

The Sound Broker

Oxnard, CA

I have seen drivers lik ethis frequently at Tweeters. No fault of the dealer, I have seen little kids torturing speakers while their parents was without interest or responsibility.

Jsut once would I love to see a salesperson turn to the parent and say, What in the hell are you thinking, control your tyrrant of get the hell out my store.9.gif

----------------

On 4/22/2004 9:51:34 AM Bruinsrme wrote:

I have seen drivers lik ethis frequently at Tweeters. No fault of the dealer, I have seen little kids torturing speakers while their parents was without interest or responsibility.

Jsut once would I love to see a salesperson turn to the parent and say, What in the hell are you thinking, control your tyrrant of get the hell out my store.
9.gif

----------------

the most recent scenario like that i encountered was a little girl-right in front of her brain-dead parents-pushing to her hearts content on the woofer of a RC-7.i asked them to stop her,and explained it was a $800 speaker.

sorry-but way too little control of little kids running amok today.

avman.

That damage will definitely impact the perfomance of the driver -- big time.

Though you can't see it, I tagged mine with wire while working in my room. I was so stressed about it I bought a replacement driver. It was about $190 to my front door. The itty-bitty crease isn't even noticable unless you put your nose to the driver, I couldn't even get the digital camera to pick it up. If I shot the picture during the daylight, it would probably show up. At any rate, my wife thought I was nuts. Well, actually I AM nuts.

If anyone wants the thing, they can have it for $100.

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=31263&

post-3205-1381925405695_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 4/22/2004 9:45:51 PM DeanG wrote:

That damage will definitely impact the perfomance of the driver -- big time.

----------------

Dean-that is a rather strong statement,and goes against what i have heard(with my own ears)and have been told,for many years...

can you elaborate?

avman.

avman -

The damage to the dustcap is probably not going to alter the sound. A small amount of damage to the cone won't typically hurt the sound of a speaker, most times, with most materials, with most music under most circumstances, as you've found through experience.

However, that RF-7 cone is badly creased. Once that happens, the stiffness is compromised. When the structural integrity of the driver is damaged to that degree, I'd not be surprised if the cone started "breaking up" (responding in a non-linear and chaotic fashion) at a much lower frequency than an undamaged cone. I bet if you put a 1kHz tone through that RF-7 and cranked it up, you'd start to hear all sorts of distortions as the volume went up.

Thank you Ray. Yeah, that's it. You're turning electrical energy into mechanical motion, and the mechanical integrity of the instrument has been compromised. Think about that cone moving in and out 2200 times per second.

----------------

On 4/23/2004 3:05:48 PM Ray Garrison wrote:

Soundbroker,

This is
. They're not exactly your typical "dealer". Think of the offspring of a romantic encounter between Wal*Mart and Best Buy. The speaker probably got banged up when they needed to use it to prop up the overhead door on loading bay 17.

----------------

Doesn't matter to me if it is a Walmart or a high end palace...you should keep your demos looking good, they are a reflection of your company. If the speaker is damaged, you should get it off the floor and get it repaired. It is hard to sell a speaker set that retails for $2100 a pair if the speakers are beat to hell.

Kids damaging speakers...happened to me once in a shop I used to manage. I made the parents pay for a replacement driver. They tried to leave but I caught them in the parking lot where I patiently pointed out to them that they were responsible for their children and their child just had just destroyed the tweeter on a $5K loudspeaker. I also made a point of very visably writing down their license plate number. When they said they were not going to pay and that I had no proof, I calmly told them that I had two witnesses who would be happy to talk to the Police, who I would be calling immediately upon their departure, followed by my attorney who would be happy to go after them for the loss of potential business with the speaker being out of comission. They quickly reconsidered and ended up paying about $300 for that replacement driver and I'll bet good money that they never let their kid run rampent in an audio store again!9.gif

Kevin

The Sound Broker

Anyone who is authorized to sell Klipsch speakers and displays an RF-7 in that condition should have their dealership pulled. What do you think would happen if a Chevrolet district manager walked into a dealers showroom and saw a new Corvette sitting on the floor with its front smashed up to the window?