Can I use Klipsch to pass Statistics????

Thors1982

I have to conduct some kind of experiment in statistics, its very open I just need to collect data. I am going to buy a SPL meter this week and was wondering if anyone had an idea for an experiment with klipsch.

Maybe, how the SPL meter changes as I move it closer, or how deep bass gets in explosions in certain movies.... I am not sure because I don't know anything about a SPL meter.

If anyone has an idea for a experiment I could do please help me :-) doesn't have to use a SPL meter... but I figured it would be best way to get actual numbers.

Surveys of how people like my set-up are out :-/ its a calculus based class so it has to be slightly complex

Thanks for the ideas in advanced

I shocked my kids one day while I was building my center. I had unscrewed the horn off the mid driver for cleaning, & hooked the driver up without the horn. It could barely be heard. Then I held the horn up to the driver, & suddenly it was LOUD!

The same thing can be done with a woofer. Pull it in & out of a sealed box & notice the difference. Even a 4" driver & a cardboard box works for this.

If you could get one of those things like they have in the mags that read frequency response +/- db you could do some cool stuff. How about reading SPL of subwoofers in different shaped rooms and outide and such?

(I only had to take business stats, sorry!)

Great Ideas, I definately don't feel comfortable taking apart my klipsch but maybe I can use a cheap speaker.

Also, I would love to do the subwoofer one.... but im not sure carrying my subwoofer, up and down the stairs is a good idea since it weights almost 90 pounds :-/ Otherwise that would be my #1 choice

Statistics? How does any of the above relate to statistics?

Only thing I can think of using speakers and an SPL meter: what change in dB level is required to insure a xx% confidence level that the subject will perceive a change in volume? And, is this different at different frequencies? What is the standard deviation in dB at which a difference is identified? Given a population of xxx, how many will perceive a difference in a .5dB SPL change, and how many at a 3dB SPL change?

The trick with any of these will be ensuring a large enough sample population and properly controlled experimental parameters.