RF cabinet "sweat mark?"

v3spitfire

Don't know better how to describe this. A door fell on my co-workers child, and I decided to batten down some of the heavier objects in my house. I used cloth/nylon straps on the RF7s to attach them to the wall. When we moved, I noticed that they left a mark where they were, it looks like the finish (cherry) melted. Its more noticable in sunlight. I took very fine steel whool to a small part and it seemed to work. Before going further, would this do any permanent damage to the finish (protective coating). Would any other type of product work (is there a wood rubbing compound? Thanks, Del (PS. due to speaker placement, I no longer need the straps.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I just tried taking a few pictures, but the mark isn't distinguishable. It essentially looks like the effect you would get if polyeurothen had run (maybe it got to hot and the polyeurothene did just that). I've tried different angles with the camera and in different shades of light. I'll try a little more steel wool tonight and see what happens.

I'll put them on a diet of Bob Mould, that should remove any stretch marks! Actually, the steel wool is working. Reminds me once when I was steel wooling my raw heresy's...The steel wool remnants stuck to the back of the cabinet, straight up, due to the magnet. It was then I realized there was some serious magnetic force there.

It may just be a problem with the finish and some sort of pigment tranfer.

A lot of us here have thought that the veneer on any given Klipsch speaker is "thin as paper." So we're very worried about any repairs involving sand paper which could quickly abraid it down to the underlying plywood or MDF. I was.

OTHO, I used some 400 grade paper on the Forte II. Nothing bad happened to the veneer except for some color change. Ya never know what the next scrub could bring.

Sometime later I bought some Quartets off e-Bay. They arrived with a mushed corner. Rats, double Rats, triple Rats.

However, inspecting the damage, looks like the veneer is not quite paper thin. More substantial.

You might take a good look at the rear of our speaker to ascertain just how thin you veneer actually measures at an exposed cross sectional area. It may give you some peace of mind as to how you can do in the way of sanding repair.

Gil