192kHz/24 bit.....so what?

endover

This 192kHz/24 bit processing is really new to me. I understand a little about processing from the computer end but what difference are my "listening ears" going to hear based on this spec? Should it be a "weighting factor" in determining which receiver I purchase since I'm only going to get to purchase a receiver of this $$$$ about once every 10 years. If my computer at home processes at a slower rate, 1+1 will still equal 1, it will just get there a little slower.

Also...if this "rate" changes in later versions as technology progresses, will this receiver become obsolete?

I just assumed this stuff goes on, and is processed in the player, but now, you're saying it's done by the reciever?

I am behind times also, as my DA converter is within the DVD player, with 5.1 anolog ouputs.

Sorry to add to the confusion.

Someone help staighten us out!

Your DVD player has DACs and so does your reciver. If you use anolog connects from your dvd player, the dvd player must change the sourse from digtial to anolog useing your DVDs DACs. You could bypass this by usieng a digital connection such as optical cable or coaxial. When this is done, the reciver or pre-amp uses its own DACs. So basicly you should use the connection which has the best dacks. For Dolby Digital to be used with anolog, you must use the 5.1 anolog outputs and into a reciver that can accpet this. Useally makeing you use 6 anolog connections. DVD players with these outputs can useally play DVD-A and SACD which the anolog connections are reqired in most cases. At least I belive this is how its done. I hope this helps.

CD

There is little if any benefit to most receivers having 192/24 DACs. The receiver cannot use the higher spec DACs, because DVD-A and SACD that could use such DACs cannot usually be passed to the receiver for decoding. DVD-A and SACD are usually decoded in the universal player.

There are exceptions to the general rule above. Some receivers possess an i.link connection that permits the receiver to decode the DVD-A or SACD bitstream. Pioneer and Yamaha offer such receivers. (The Denon i.links do not work properly.) The 192/24 DACS are only used for 2 channel DVD-A or over sampled lower resolution formats. The 5.1 DVD-As are 96/24 or lower resolution.

DVD-Vs are all sampled at 48 kHz, hence 192/24 DACS are overkill for most receivers.

I have a receiver that can decode high resolution music in the receiver. Good music is amazingly good in high resolution, but there is not that much to choose from in my view. Most multi-channel music is not mixed well for 5.1 and is frequently remastered from original masters that have deteriorated.

In a nutshell, there is usually little value to 192/24 DACs. It is pure marketing in most instances.

Bill

I wouldn't worry about having this decoder on the receiver. But make sure the reciever you choose to buy has 6 channel input(or more). then later on just buy an external decoder thats more up to date and run it through your reciever. your dvd player would be connected to the decoder and than the decoder would run analog rca cables to the 6 channel input on the reciever. i hope this helps.