Filtering low frequency from high level output

evilfrito

Hey guys I was just wondering if it was possible to connect some sort of device to my speaker wires (that are coming out of my amp) which could just cut out any signal below a certain frequency (ex. 80 hz) and then run out to my speakers. My amp doesn't have a sub-out, therefore I have no way of blending 100% effectively with a sub, unless I can do this technique somehow. Any ideas? In the meantime I am just setting my sub crossover to match my heresy speakers, but I would like to adjust this to 70 or 80 hz, without the heresy's runnin at full range. Keep in mind that my sub only has an rca output which is unfiltered- so that won't do me any good. Buying a receiver would have been easier- but- I personally don't care for any of those surround modes or dsp effects that receiver's have on the sound.

You're right, Mark. For those less talented with a soldering iron, I know that there is an outfit out there that makes these types of "filtering" RCA plugs. I can't remember the name of the company right now, but maybe someone here will chime in.

----------------

On 4/22/2004 7:45:52 AM mdeneen wrote:

72Hz.jpg"

It would be much easier to just connect a little filter to the INPUT side of your amp. You can do it right on an RCA plug. For 72Hz, use a 0.047uF cap in series with the (+) and use a 47k 1/2W resistor from (+) to ().

mdeneen
----------------

The company is Harrison Laboratories and the product is called the F-Mod. They come in a large variety of high & low crossover points and have a 6db slope. I don't think they will help him though since he needs a speaker level filter. It can be done with caps and coils as Mark showed.

Maybe I could filter on the input level- I was not aware that it would be much less expensive. I have a powered rsw-12 sub connected to my pre-out on my amp, so could I just run a cable from the unfiltered rca output to my main-in on my amp, and connect some sort of filter there?