Went shopping today

Q-Man

BBB

Not sure about the dance music, you might have to bring your own walkman/ iPod/ mp3 player/ ghettoblaster hahahahaha!!

=========================================

Daymone..

Sometimes salesmen and saleswomen can be elitist snobs too. Find one that shares your passion with your gear, or your search for it, and you have a gem. I have two salesman here at the same store... It is like walking a tightrope to keep them both happy, sometimes sales go to one sometimes the other. Both are great guys, (Bob and Greg at Ovation, here in Indy at the Castleton Store) and willing to go the extra mile too.

Sometimes it is good before you open your mouth to ask this question. "Really be honest with me. What kind of equipment do you have and what do you listen to at home?" Followed by "Or after a long day in here, do you just not want to be around it anymore?" (It is a loaded question... But will speak VOLUMES of where his bias or where he/she is coming from too. What you want is the guy not necessarily that has K horns/ Reference / Aragon/ although, that's always a plus... But appreciates good gear/ good speakers too.) Of corse he may lie, and say I have martin logan blah blah blah...avant garde trio's..blah blah blah.. Hard to do even with the in store discount... (We all know he secretly he has the bose wave radio...as his HT speaker setup!! LOL ) But you get my point. Guys that have been in the store longer than say 2-3 years and still have a passion for audio... Thats who you want!

Sometimes a pic might help too...to let him see what you have and how it is currently set up too. They are not all out to get your money all the time. Their experience is often very valuable too. I always looked at the Stereo Store as my "candy store." What was important was not how much of the penny (junk) stuff I could stuff in my mouth (house) and get sick. But choose the really good stuff (gear) so I could enjoy it too. (For years and years)

=============================================================

Champagne...

Yes, still downtown accross from the Lima Convention Center/ Hotel. Which I might add, for a small town, it was really impressive too.

I think I ate there three times in 2 days..LOL.. So yes, you can imagine a really small place, packed tables, and happy customers. Thats hard to duplicate in a multiple franchise. Almost looked like the daughter, her mom, and dad/ grandpaw were all working the same place. Amazing!!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was shopping for my new receiver, I stopped in the nicest A/V store around. I actually wondered about how I'd be treated because of my attire. I'm an engineer and wear blue jeans to work frequently. The first few times I stopped in this store I had been out in the field so I had on blue jeans and some muddy boots.

The guys treated me very nice and ended up getting the sale.

John

John,

I suspect it was your attitude that helped. The worst thing is to be a know it all to a salesman. Yes, some of us, on some topics we know as much or sometimes even more than the salesman. (Especially true at a "Best Buy," but you know what your getting at a best buy too anyhow!!)

Bottom line, we want something that compliments our systems and sounds good too. Second is we want to be taken care of if something does go wrong or we get it home and it is not a good fit. I suspect most salesmen would drool over most of the well put together systems I have seen in PICS on this BB.

Q man you are my hero for figuring out how to put a K horn as a center channel

Jim in Colorado ... how you have tinkered with stuff and come to realize sometimes the way it was designed is the best for your situation. And how you ever fit a TSCM in your house amazes me.

ProDj/Artto/Steve Phillips/ Trey...on and on... so many others too. It just amazes me your time and effort looking for the dream setup too. Maybe we should do a show off your system page too?

The cool thing again, is this does bring us together.. I can't wait to put faces to BB names on here in June.

Roger

This topic turned out to be more then I thought it would.

My sons were self conscious about the way they looked and wanted to go home and clean up first. You remember those teenage years. Other then that they really didn't feel funny about going in. I was just too tired and wanted to get it over with. I knew once I got home and cleaned up that I wasn't going out again.

The salesman was a nice guy, but busy. I was glad that he couldn't take care of us right away, this gave me a chance to look around and play for a while. He was knowledgeable of the equipment that he was showing. He is one of those guys that doesn't show his emotions, and since he didn't say anything about my system I don't know what he thought about the pictures. He probably thought that I'm nuts, like most people do, and was being polite and not saying nothing.

He called me today to tell me that he found an effects processor that should do what I want. It is made by Amplified Reasearch and Technology. It's called the FX-1 Personal effects processor and it can be found on their web site at WWW.artroch.com . He said that he uses some of their products in his custom installs. I was looking at some Lexicon Pro stuff that cost a lot more then this FX-1 and this FX-1 seems to do about the same thing as the Lexicon stuff. I may give it a try for $150.00. If I don't like it then I'll try the Lexicon stuff. I'm not sure yet, I need to do some more research. He said that I don't need to use a Y spliter from my main channels. I can run a pair of balanced cables from the balanced main outs from the Anthium processor to the balanced inputs on the power amp. Then run a pair of RCA unbalanced cables from the Anthem processors unbalanced main outputs to the FX-1 processor and then on to the power amp for the LaScalla front effect speakers. This will work since the McIntosh amps have both balanced and unbalanced inputs.

The guy lived up to what he said he would do for me, so now it's up to me to keep my word and buy from him. I need to go see him for a more thorough demo.

Anyone want to make me an offer on the Yamaha RX-V3000? I think 5 or $600.00 might be a good deal for a $1,600.00 receiver. Maybe I should wait and see if a $3,300.00 processor makes a differance before selling the 3000.

later, Q.

----------------

On 4/29/2004 11:11:42 AM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

=========================================

Daymone..

Sometimes salesmen and saleswomen can be elitist snobs too. Find one that shares your passion with your gear, or your search for it, and you have a gem. I have two salesman here at the same store... It is like walking a tightrope to keep them both happy, sometimes sales go to one sometimes the other.

=============================================================

---------------

I too have familiarity with the Flanners crew, and they are putzes. Their clients have a lot of money, don't shop around to find good prices, and buy a home theater just so they can have one--regardless of it being a passion or not. These types of clients reflect rather clearly in the sales staff at Flanners. I question if any truely passionate audiophiles EVER shop there. There are a few places around that are much smaller, and their service is MUCH better. The sales people at Flanners are also brainwashed to "like" whatever is selling during that particular period.

I've had so many bad experiances with them that I long ago stopped giving them the "benifit of the doubt". its at the point now where i will drive out of state to purposely not give them any of my business. I know others that feel very similar as well...

those were some good suggestions though! and...they'd work probably anywhere other than Flanners....but flanners is a sinking ship willing to sell you MONSTER XP for 'only' $1.65 a foot...(nope...not kidding...ripoff!!!)