Went shopping today

Q-Man

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought it was interesting that the Best Buy by my house started carrying the new line of Klipsch. Only the lower models of the Reference though. They said they cannot order any higher models. Thats the first time I've seen them in a department store.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this say something about the direction of quality and marketing that Klipsch is going in?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q-man,

That is a great story. I got quite a chuckle picturing you and your sons using the compressor to dust yourselves off in the parking lot! I hope you didn't get any on the Porsche!!! lol

I found your story interesting because while I wear a suit to work during the week, when the weekend comes, it's old blue jeans, t-shirts and so forth. I have no problem at all walking into a higher-end store in any sort of attire. For quite some time now, I have been paying particular attention to the way that I am treated on the weekend, and then when I return to the store during the week-for a follow-up question, etc. I love to see the surprise in their eyes when you have to remind them of who you are and what you were interested in.

David

----------------

On 4/26/2004 7:28:13 PM dkp wrote:

Q-man,

That is a great story. I got quite a chuckle picturing you and your sons using the compressor to dust yourselves off in the parking lot!

----------------

AND, it's a good thing you disconnected the Senco first! Been there, done that...

Great story--I've been treated poorly by salespeople as well, but the best is my dad.

He's a retired golf nut with more money and toys than he knows what to do with. He dresses in jeans and old sweatshirts and drives for his daily car a Hyndai Sonata with like , 12 billion miles on it.

he has a bad haircut too, so he looks none too professional.

He, however has made quite a bit in the Market, and has worked as a blacksmith for the last 40 years or so, makeing around 100-120 dollars an hour.

He walked onto a BMW/Porche/MINI lot, and started browsing around....he then began asking very pointed questions, as he was considering buying my mother a porche or a mini or something for kicks, especially since she was in Ireland at the time, and it would have been a great surprise...

the young slick sales person, completely blew him off, motioning to him with his hands where the cars were, and the information was clearly printed on the stickers. My dad-right there, decided to not buy ANYTHING from this dealer. The funny part--he has back home in his workshop a 1929 Mercedes Benz, a 1965 Mustang, a Model T, and the last car he bought my mother for kicks, a 1972 MG convertible (show condition, red)

had that salesguy been a bit nicer, my dad would have made a major purchase, that day-in cash (he hates financeing)...and probably would have gone back to get a Jag or porsche...

NEVER EVER JUDGE BY CLOTHES--especially if they are a little older!! that salesguy failed sales 101!

Our family used to be in the Chevrolet business in a very small town. It was not unusual after say a farmer went to market with his crops or animals to return to our dealership, animal poop on his boots and in overalls..LOL.. "The wife liked that one over there.... Put a bow on it, and have it delivered to the house sunday between 11 am and noon ok?"

Sometimes they would pull out the biggest wad of cash most people have ever seen (a years worth of work) and pay in cash or write a check for it all on the spot.

I think many of us as customers, forget what it is like to work in sales, especially in commision sales with the internet, or other stores down the street, competition wise, too. Some on the forum would be terrible audio salespeople IMO, and yet at times, some of us would be fantastic too.

I was once the 15 yr old kid too... Freckles, by myself, in the high end audio areas learning what was good or bad in audio. I used to memorize more facts than almost anyone in the stores I visited. Most of the Hi Fi Buys guys were what I considered my friends.

Todays kids and adults experience the buying process differently. (and not because I am older) The business has changed. The "best buys" of the world have average to upper middle stuff...to sell to the generic public that really (lets be honest) does not care!!

You do not expect a very professional kid at 16- 21 at best buys to be an expert in audio or HT. Heck, he would be lucky to know what is even on sale. BUT, he will move about 20 tv's and a plasma or two a month let alone more audio stuff than the high end stereo store down the street does. He isn't rude, but if your "just lookin" and the store is busy..he is off to get stuff sold. While not a commisioned sales person, he may win a 100 dollar DVD player if he hits his goals.

When you work in one of these high end stores.. Yes, you worry about kids... things dissapear and get stolen by youth more than adults. When you have a suit on, you gain more respect in the business community. Is it fair? Maybe not, but it is true. You want your banker to look like a banker, your doctor to look like a doctor.. But also shame on them for not accepting who you are when you are... Just who you are too.

My 2 cents of advice.... If your just looking, say your just looking.. If your in the market say I am looking maybe in the market for next month or so.. Give out some "feelers" to your true intent. For instance... I am looking at say a amp in the 800- 1000 range? Anything you really like, and why, or any sales you see coming up or newer models I might wait or look out for?

That, and go out on say a Tuesday too. Tuesday is, and always has been the slow day shopping wise for almost everything.

Q man or or anyone else not with your dressy clothes on.. I am sure he noticed you were nice and didn't worry about you. Never feel just by how you look you should not be allowed into some high end room of adult audio eargasm systems. Some of the qwirkiest audio people I know, have no real lives other than this hobby. A photo of this large Klipsch BB group would look pretty scary as well. LOL. The Lima, Ohio Midwest-Audiofest was an eye opener last year of geekdome..LOL.

Think 3000 guys, tube amps, ss amps, and all kinds of speakers old and new .... maybe 10 women. (If I am over exagerating the number of women too.) All arguing this and that, it was fun to just observe people too.

Hahahaha You have no idea how that pic is soooo true. Only difference was, the topic was... "Where are those such n such horns, or such and such transport devices, or such and such turntables for 12k, CD players re enginnered for 650 dollars or even worse... triangle things to put under your system to bless them and make it in tune with the world!! hahahahahaha

Women at the show? I think the guys were more more excited to treat Dr. Bruce Edgar (Edgarhorns fame) like a rock star diety, than give a second look to Jessica Simpson/ Britney Spears/Gwen Stephani/ Byonce Knowles... if they walked into the room. That's the sad truth too.

Nosvalves I am sure will back me up on this too. Craig and I laughed a lot. Course the Kewpie burgers were very good too!

TBrennan

No Life

Total Posts: 1,817

Last Post: 4/27/2004

Indy---Whereas you were Mr. Cool heh? Big-time Hoosier. I know you're from the big city of Indianapolis, a place noted for it's cosmopolitan sense of flair and sophistication. And it's fine chain restaurants.

===========================================================

Wow, where did that one come from? Did I paint an accurate picture of yourself as an audio geek like myself? Or, are you just being sarcastic?

Lighten up!

I never said I was "Mr Cool." I am a big time Hoosier. And a very proud one at that too. (Indiana University Grad...Indiana Hoosiers.) (Maybe you have to be here to appreciate it?) Indy is about 1.25 million, just big enough.. IMO. By far, the Auto Race capitol of the world as well. We have great NFL, NBA, WNBA, AAA sports teams, and college rivalries that are still strong and mean something. We even hosted the Pan American Games, and many Pharmaceutical/ medical companies call Indiana home. While many cities have slowed down, our convention business is booming and people can feel safe in our downtown too. HS sports play a major part of family life with kids in school as well, because parents CARE about their kids learning and setting goals and getting their educations. People like raising families here, and basically with the quality of life here for what you get with what you can do with what you make, Indy is very, very, high.

Maybe I just come at this from another point of view. I travel about 3-5 days a month all over the USA. I am always happy to come home. NYC / LA is great, Chicago and New Orleans way too much fun. But nothing as good as home. Besides, Indy is 8 hrs drive to 65% of the USA population... if we need to get some other cities "vibe," we can dive and enjoy it. If not, Ambassidair-ATA (the worlds biggest travel club,) has packages all over the USA and the world. You can fly to and visit them if you "need a fix" too. WWW.ata.com Personally, I love to go snow skiing in feb-march in Vail, CO. Or walk along the beach with my wife and kids in sunny south west Florida. Do I want 4 feet or more of snow for 6 months in feeezing weather.. or Humidity at 100% in south west Florida July- Sept...Every day?? NO.. But great places to visit!

As far as our Indianapolis "Cosmopolitan sense of flair" I guess you just might have to be here to appreciate that. Every city has its great places and dives... Rich and poor areas.. I have been very fortunate to travel both all over the USA and overseas as well. Seeing I have no idea where your "Cosmopolitan City is" or if "you have any flair at all"... I will leave it to your own lack of sense or style in attacking me personally, and Indianapolis, Indiana, that you probably just do not get "it" anyhow.

I would say we have what most big cities have without the excess too. As far as chain restaurants... Yes, we have them. A lot of new chains come here to try out their "concept" and see if it in fact works. I happen to enjoy the variety myself. We also have some really fantastic non chain restaurants too. Everything from mom and pop to very top notch Independents. Perhaps if you read the Indianapolis Monthly, May 2004 issue, you might find their opinion of the 50 best restaurants. You even you might even find one you like yourself. http://www.indianapolismonthly.com/dining/dinehome.html

(For meat lovers, St Elmos downtown is awesome for fantastic steaks if your mouth does not catch on fire from the shrimp cocktail.)

Hope this lets you "git edukated sum..." As far as Indianapolis being sophisticated? I assure you since I am perhaps more knowledgeable about my city and enjoy its culture and offerings... You can't speak about Indianapolis or what you do not know of, or experienced. If I can be of any assitance in helping to educate you on my city and its opportunities, feel free to ask. I will do my best, to point you in the right direction.

As far as the Midwest Audiofest last year in Lima, Ohio home of the builders of our nations military tanks? Ok, they also have great greasy Kewpie burgers too.. (It was an OK small town, but you get my point. I was not making fun of the people from Lima or Ohio.. Rather, the attendees.) I was just as much a geek as everyone else. I enjoyed it. But I also saw for real in mass what in some way is an endless cycle of this tube, that tube, this turntable arm on a granite based platter for 25k...LOL And no one was really talking about the MUSIC.. It was all about percieved differences and some Hard to prove too like I think this is better than that stuff. It was a male bonding audio geek fest! For example (DIY horn speakers where two guys have a hobby, make 6 sets of speakers a year, trying to sell just 2 sets to break even. They keep the other two for themselves and if lucky sell 2 more for profit to try something else.) Why?? They just enjoy the woodmaking arr arrr arr and friendship aspect of having a business with someone they met in 5th grade and are still friendswith. (true story) Again, all wonderful. A little "geekie" yes, ..but wonderful.

In the end, your life is not about what you have or do not have.. But about how you touched other peoples lives!

It is amazing to see kids eyes light up seeing Nemo on a big screen in DTS surround sound bigger than life. Or listen to Josh Groban sing a song so beautiful it just gives you the tingles from the inside out, because you appreciate it. The cool thing is it doesn't have to be in a movie theater, or a stage just as a one time event. It can happen In Indy just as well as where you live too.

Ronald McDonald5.jpg

Helloooooooo. Mr. Brennan? Mr. Klipschfan? Im so glad

I caught you two here on the forum. I just dropped in to

confirm your reservations for the one room suite youll be

sharing at our Comfort Inn North Indianapolis hotel on the

nights of June 11th and 12th. Are you two ready to par-taaaaay?

Oh! I hope so. And I know you dont need to ask ME what

MY favorite restaurant is around here, now do you? Have fun!

BBB hahahahahahah

Well, at least McDonalds is even where Tom is. As for the Comfort in... It is what it is. (Nice clean mid priced hotel very close to Klipsch headquarters.)

I am sure Klipsch wanted the attendees to get the most bang for their buck.. As well as have a place that you would be allowed to bring stuff to a room too. Something the fancier hotels would not allow.

I am sure if your "ego" is large enough, you can stay at the Emabassy suites... in one of their suites too, if you just can't "slum it." LOL It is just accross the highway.

Oh, and do not worry. There are plenty of fast food "chain" places close by. Only problem for BBB is, there is a Mc Donalds north of the highway and one just south too, of the complex where the hotel is. Which one will he use?? hahahahahaha

----------------

On 4/28/2004 1:13:36 AM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

Wow, where did that one come from? Did I paint an accurate picture of yourself as an audio geek like myself? Or, are you just being sarcastic?
----------------

TB's sarcasm switch doesn't have an off position. I would let it slide - he rarely offers a serious conflict without clarity, so assume it is sarcasm...

----------------

On 4/24/2004 6:08:27 PM garymd wrote:

Great story Q-Man. Educational for the kids too. Shows them that higher prices don't always mean better quality.

I have a high-end shop nearby. The one time I did go in, they chuckled when I mentioned klipsch. They are an authorized dealer but don't have much in the store, maybe 1 pair of RF5s. The salesman was a total snob and I'll certainly never do business with them again (bought a $15 AQ brush for my TT). Once I mentioned klipsch, the quality of service I got dropped dramatically.

----------------

Hmmm, another Klipsch-authorized dealer that doesn't display Klipsch products, doesn't really sell Klipsch, or even like them for that matter. These jokers Gary described seem 'especially' appreciative of Klipsch's recent legal efforts to protect their authorized dealer base. 7.gif

If I was a sales admin at Klipsch, I would first develop, then provide every dealer with clearly defined minimum written criteria for maintaining an acceptable Klipsch dealership, wait a month or two, then start making an unexpected visit to each and every one of the authorized outlets, and start yanking dealership statuses from bums like this left and right. On the flip side, I would provide every possible bit of support, aide and assistance to those trying to do it 'right'. I would also start an award - Dealer of the Month - for those dealers with exceptional customer service, and product line on display, and showcase them here in the website each month.

I'm sure this store wouldn't care about losing their dealer status, but then they couldn't draw people in with a Klipsch logo and then bash Klipsch products. One dealer like this does more harm to a company than good.

----------------

On 4/29/2004 9:42:09 AM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

Oh, and do not worry. There are plenty of fast food places close by. Only problem for BBB is, there is a Mc Donalds north of the highway and one just south too, of the complex where the hotel is. Which one will he use?? hahahahahaha

----------------

Oh come on, Indy. Thats a no-brainer.

Itll be the one that has the best dance music.

Ronald McDonald.gif

this thread has taken a turn for the worse...

That's a great idea, carrying pics of your gear with you when you go to those places. I'm 26 but look 18. There is a Klipsch/Aragon dealer here who's blown me off a few times and not called me back with prices on heritage speakers. (Flanners for you WI folks) I should walk in there with pics of my stack of Aragon amps and four new mahognay HeresyIIs to rub it in their faces.

Now you've gone and done it, Indy. I grew up in Lima, and though I haven't been back for around 15 years, I still remember how good those Kewpie burgers were. Is the one downtown still open? Had a pretty small parking lot as I recall, and a drive through service before that type thing was the norm. OK, I gotta stop this, I'm getting hungry and it's still an hour till lunch!