Gave Klipsch a Chance...

storm300x

and actually liked them,not harsh as i have heard people so about horns so many times,maybe a tad bright but not harsh. The store was demoing the klf-30 with a cheap yamaha reiciever,knowing i had better electronics at home (plus they are being discountinued and were half off) i picked them up. Got them home nd really liked them,they have great dynamics with rock and country,and a nice midrange. I was expecting the bass to be too heavy also with 2 12" per speaker but it is nicely balanced. I'm still breaking them in,will report more as they open up.

storm300x,congrats on grabbing some greats speakers. Your electronics may even sound a little "warmer"than the Yamaha and give you a little less "bright" sound.If

you are interested,or may become interested,in Home Theatre use of the 30's,it would be wise to get yourself a KLF-C7 center as soon as possible.They too have been discontinued and are getting more and more scarce.A pair of KSP-S6's would round out your system, if you can find a pair.Could even use the new RS-7's when available.Good luck and much enjoyment to you with your new Klipsch's.

Keith

Storm,

Welcome to Klipsch! Glad to hear that you like the sound. I applaud you for taking the time to go out and actually hear for yourself what Klipsch sounds like, and not believing what other people may have told you. I believe that there are too many people out there, who have heard from someone that "horns are harsh, blah blah blah, etc. etc. etc.", yet they never actually hear for themselves, and continue to believe that they are not good speakers. Then they write them off as bad speakers and never even consider them or audition them when it comes time to make a purchase.

I will say that it is very important to match them with the right electronics. You will find that poor electronics can make them sound bad and good electronics will do wonders. Klipsch speakers are very revealing, so you get what you put in.

I also hope that you get to demo the Heritage line someday. Unfortunately, it's not likely that you will be able to do that at a dealer's showroom. You will most likely have to find someone who owns them to listen to them. I will tell you that the Heritage line, when mated with good electronics and good recordings can sound amazing.

Congratulations and Welcome!

storm,

I hope you like the sound of your 30's as much as I like mine! You'll find that your money was very well spent.

There has been debate on this board concerning the 'break-in' period. Some say it's real, some say it is just mental.

Let us know!

Mace

• 2 weeks later...

There is a lot to like in the 30's... and even more with six of them for HT! But, this is the 2 Channel side of the Forum... and I just gotta say that the older classic Klipsch Sound of the Cornwalls et al take the two-channel cake.

But that's just nit picking with my ears in the Klipsch family navel... cwm13.gif...awkward but what's a fan to do? HornEd

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

Two-Channel Cornwall Music Recovery Room Under Construction

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-22-2001 at 02:36 PM

eye, yi yi... just what i feared.... my 30's just don't seem to compete at quite 100% with my distant memories of Cornwalls unleashed. I was hoping it was memory just making the past seem grander, especially since I had the Cornwalls in a 9x13' room!!!

Alas, compromise abounds in the Klipsch of today and the dual 12's and the narrow face of the 30's come up a little (I hope just a little...cwm36.gif ) short when compared to the grand width and girth of the discontinued Cornwalls.

Why, oh why aren't these beauties still offered as part of the Heritage line?? cwm14.gif Why, I ask... why?????

OK... I've got myself together now...

But seriously.. HornEd, it was you who calmed my "just dropped a grand and a half" nerves when I was having remorse over buying the 30's and I hadn't received them yet. Now you have to go and reaffirm what I knew deep down... that the 30's can't compare with the Cornwalls...cwm25.gif

Back to some legendary enjoyment...

Mace

PS How do you use the smilies like the little guy waving??

This message has been edited by mace on 07-23-2001 at 09:04 PM

As you've noted, I am a Smileys Fan... especially when they are used so that their design visually augments what is being said.

You have to admit, Wavey.gif puts a cute face on "standing wave" ugliness...

and Smash.gif makes the re-setting of a loose KLF 30 motor board less hard to take...

Now, if they would only make "Tongue" Smile.gif~ behave properly for "I told you so" occasions...

cwm42.gif Oh, yeah, I find the Smiley "Ear" library a little short for an audio oriented board. HornEd

hey!! after 10yrs. in the 'biz' i bought a pair of klf-30's! welcome to the world of klipsch! i also got the c-7 center, and would advise you do the same if you are ever considering home theater. i am sure i lost permanent hearing to a pair of cornwalls a friend of mine had, but i'm enjoying my '30's so much, i don't think about comparing them to other speakers, i have so much 'tweaking' to do w/what i've got! anyway, i had my choices, and i chose klf-30's!! avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

sony strda-777ES receiver

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

surrounds and a 'teens sub coming!

klipsch-so good it Hz!

All we are saying....Is give Klipsch a chance.

Don't hammer Smash.gif on yer new KLF-30s until you've had adequate time to give them a decent test drive. Not as good as the Cornwalls? Perhaps, but we are talking about two different design concepts here. I would love the A/B the two side-by-side, and I bet I would find that each speaker excels in its own way.

Also, I had the distinct pleasure of testing this "break in" theory. I bought a pair of 30s that were slightly damaged during shipment. Rather than give me a small refund, my K dealer ordered another pair; perhaps the last mahogany 30s to leave the factory. Wavey.gif The first pair worked perfectly; they just had minor cosmetic damage, and they were in my living room for three months, plenty of time to be "broken in" or "opened up." I marked their placement on the floor, and even measured the height of the spikes before I removed them--just being anal as hell.

Within two hours, the spankin' new 30s were in place. My buddy and I had auditioned a few choice tunes before we disconnected the old pair, then proceeded to listen to the same songs again on the new speakers. There was no difference whatsoever. Was this a truly scientific study? No. Was it close? Sorta. I myself thought there was a difference at first, because I had upgraded from a pair of 20s in the first place, and thought they had more bass! I was mistaken. They had different bass. The twin 10" just accentuate different parts of the frequency range, that's all. If Mr. Ray G or someone who studys the science of sound is listening, I'm sure they can give a much more detailed and scientific reason for this, but I think your brain just becomes accustomed to the way the speakers sound, and if you spent a great deal of money on them, you will convince yourself that you made the right purchase and think the speakers sound wonderful!

At least you know you made a quality purchase; not like the poor dumb idiot who squanders $1500 on a Bose Acoustimass!Eek.gif

Eek.gif

Just to kind of point out the obvious here...

Mace, there is no way the KLF30s are going to sound like the Cornwalls. I wouldn't look at it so much as them "competeing" with one sounding "better" than the other - they's just very, very different kinds of speakers.

For that matter, the Cornwall is most different than just about ANY other speakers on the market, 'cepting the other members of the Heritage line. The Klipschorns, Belles, La Scalas, Cornwalls and even the little Heresy all share a certain "style" of sound (quality of sound? characteristic sound? approach to sound? one of thouse ought to fit...). They are all different, of course, and no two sound totally alike, but they all sound much more like each other than any one of them sounds like anything else on the planet. If you really, really like the Heritage sound as you recall it from the old days of Cornwall blasting, you're not going to repeat that experience without getting one of the Heritage line. Cornwalls, by the way, frequently show up on EBay.

Having said that, the KLF30 are EXCELLENT speakers, and WILL "compete" most effectively with just about anyone else's speakers in similar, or even higher, price ranges.

But they're not Cornwalls, any more than a 2001 Lexus 430SC is a '58 Mercedes 300SL Gullwing Coupe.

Ray Garrison, who, unfortunately, owns niether the Lexus nor the Mercedes...

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering