Scuff on black satin RF-3's

jephdood

Not sure if this is the right forum, but what the heck. :)

When they were sent to me, it seems they rubbed a bit on the cardboard box they were shipped in. It's two areas on the left side of the cabinet, right in the middle.. one about the size of a quarter, the other the size of a dime. Anyone have a good method to fix the finish / cover the blemish? Do I have to break out the cans of Krylon? Eesh.. Thankfully in this case they're black, so some options should be available, eh?

jephdood:

Not to joke around with you but, since you are describing such small areas, would a black permanent magic marker be too dark to use? Or, maybe some black paste shoe polish? I've heard of weirder things being used to touch-up furniture. Have you contacted your dealer about it?

Unfortunately I don't right now. Picture a couple strokes of VERY light grit sandpaper rubbing the surface so that it isn't black anymore. Magic marker is always noticable on these kinds of things and I actually did try black Kiwi shoe polish.. but it doesn't cover the mark.

• 2 weeks later...

If their new speakers dont touch them. Send them back. Call the dealer and tell them about the problem. Any authorized dealer will replace no questions asked. Why would you even consider excepting damaged goods? Hey if you think you can fix ,at least see if they'll discount them for you. I would demand a new speaker!

Naw.. I bought 'em off Ebay. It's kinda funny because I bought one pair from somebody back east (also off Ebay) and they arrived via FedEx perfectly. I bought the pair with the scuff after that and the guy happened to have been local so I picked them up. They got scuffed on the ride home. :( Aaah!!

Anyhow, I put that particular one into a corner with that side facing the wall. Nobody can see it unless they specifically peek their head around the corner to see that one side. So I'm just not going to worry about it for now.

And I guess the RF3s aren't black veneer? I think I heard that. Are they vinyl?

I though all RF series are wood veneer and only synergy series are vinyl. ( Maybe wrong). Contact klipsch by email with serial #'s and ask. They'll gladly tell you if their veneer or not. I have a pair of KLF-10's that are veneer and a pair of synergy SF-3's that are vinyl. Pretty hard to tell difference(both black ash).