Klipsch 18" professional raw driver......

chops

I have an 18" Klipsch pro driver that is in need of a new voice coil. Does anyone know how much it would cost to get this done?

I'm not to sure on the model number any more, but I think it still might be in production and possibly used in one of the Cinema Series subs.

All I know is that it has a cast aluminum basket, about an 8" big magnet, vented 3" voice coil, 800 watts max power, the freq response is 30-1000Hz, and the spider looks to be about 5". I think its efficiency is around 96-99dB @ 1 watt, and recommended sealed enclosure size was between 3-9 cubic feet.

If I remember correctly, I bought it back in 1995 at Thoroughbred's Music for $342.

Does anyone know which model this might be and if it could possibly get repaired? If so, how much do you think it might run?

Thanks 2.gif

Sorry chops. I can't help you with the speaker info but I'm sure some one here will have what you need.I posted because you mentioned Thoroughbred Music. They used to have some very serious drum show rooms in Florida. Are those people still around? I think I have a old catalog of theirs but it only listed percussion equipment.

Since you are in Florida, check with Simply Speakers.com they should be able to get it reconed for you if they can get the parts. Give them a call they answer the phone right off and you can give them the model number of the driver and they will tell you if they can do it for you or not. If not, they can direct you to someone that can recone the driver for you.

----------------

On 4/28/2004 11:39:54 PM BBB wrote:

Sorry chops. I can't help you with the speaker info but I'm sure some one here will have what you need.I posted because you mentioned Thoroughbred Music. They used to have some very serious drum show rooms in Florida. Are those people still around? I think I have a old catalog of theirs but it only listed percussion equipment.

----------------

BBB, several years ago all of the Thoroughbred Music stores in Tampa, Sarasota, Clearwater and elsewhere, were bought out by Sam Ash music stores. I've lost track with them now since I've become a Guitar Center employee, but there was a time when Thoroughbred Music was all the rage here in Florida (and they sold it all; guitars, bass and acoustics, amps, keyboards, pianos, drum kits, pro audio, and even grandfather clocks). Back in the day our dad and I spent some serious cash at the Tampa location...a Roland tone generator, Cakewalk software, Alesis and Yamaha digital reverb units, Shure mics and a dbx mic preamp, a Panasonic and Sony DAT recorders, several Nakamichi and Tascam cassette recorders, Sony pro headphones, a Sony CD burner, a Carver CD player, miles of cables and tons of TDK blank tapes. And chops' 18" pro Klipsch sub driver, natch!

Yes, jt. I figured Thoroughbred sold out or had folded completely since I came up empty handed when I tried to look them up about a year ago. They looked like they carried a tremendous inventory of products. Information about them was sent to me here, up north, from my family that lived in different parts of Florida a few years back. All of them have headed back to northern states since then. Im pretty sure my niece might have wandered into your store a few times. She used to live in Winter Haven and she had been playing drums since she was a pre-teen. I was down that way a few times and I think she only mentioned a couple of local places she would get gear at once in a while. It was Carlton Music and one other place. I dont quite remember. I hope business is good for you at the Guitar Center. I assume you are working at the Lakeland or Tampa stores. Nice weather, if you can get it. Thanks for the update.

Thanks, BBB...business at the Lakeland Guitar Center is pretty good; we've only been open a year and a month, and even with radio advertisements, lots of folks wander into our store saying they never knew we were here! Carlton Music is our biggest competition, but I hope we don't affect their business...this mom 'n' pop store's been here forever, and I'd hate to see our store do them in. There were two other music stores in town (now both closed); Six String Music and The Music Shoppe, but they went out of business right before we even opened!

I liked Thoroughbred...they had tons of gear; I believe they even carried more inventory than we do. We are considered a secondary market...The Guitar Centers in both Tampa and Winter Park (Orlando) are much bigger stores than we are, and even they carry more items than we do. Even if we don't stock an item at our store, we can request a transfer from any of our other 126 stores nationwide, so our customers always walk away happy! Although I wouldn't see that...I'm the warehouse manager and I'm hardly ever out on the floor!

Oh, and lately a tall, tanned, long-blonde haired woman in her early twenties has entered our store on several occassions to play on the Roland electronic V-Drums...and damn she's good! Is she your niece? It's always something to see a beautiful woman bang away on the drums and sound just as good as Mick Fleetwood!4.gif

----------------

On 5/1/2004 6:02:09 PM djk wrote:

$75 plus round trip ship

----------------

Do you know if that includes a new voice coil? Actually, the cone, dust cap, and cloth surround are all in perfect shape. In fact, the voice coil doesn't even scrape the pole piece. The driver still works, it just doesn't produce any bass anymore. It sounds like a huge midrange driver. It's weird!

14.gif

is there a crossover network of some sort in this sub? sounds more likely that you burnt something up in the network...especially if it still makes noise. klipsch also puts fuses in all(?) their pro speakers. might wanna check to make sure they didn't get blown 2.gif

if you're up to it, i might suggest bypassing any internal circuitry and connecting the amp directly to the speaker leads and see if you can get any bass that way (this would be the best way to determine where the problem is)...just be careful and don't crank it if you try this. also keep in mind that with the driver in the open air, the low end won't be as pronounced as if it were in a cabinet.