Theatre Pipe Organ and Jazz Followers Here?

JJJeffries

----------------

On 5/4/2004 7:53:42 AM fini wrote:

...holding...back...too...easy...

----------------

no kidding, i held back, even left our the pipe and organ part ;)

girl asks me, "hey justin, will your charger (iPod) fit in my port (iBook)?"

Actually Justin, mine's bigger (take a peek again)!2.gif

But what's cool is the fact that my dad did the complete initial CAD design. Now he sits back and looks at what skilled craftsmen have achieved with his design...it's really something once you think about it.

Like PWK designing the venerable Klipschorn, and how it's lasted this long virtually unchanged, and how audiophiles 50 years from now may still marvel at their design and execution, and enjoy their wonderous sound...wow!

organ.JPG

SkinnerOrgan.jpg

I really think mine, the bottom, is larger... how is your pipe, excuse me, your organ, excuse me your instrument, darn, your church musical tool, larger than mine?... my church's musical tool.

oh, yes, that is a picture of the restored Old First Church organ :)

----------------

On 5/4/2004 2:24:17 PM justin_tx_16 wrote:

----------------

On 5/4/2004 7:53:42 AM fini wrote:

...holding...back...too...easy...

----------------

no kidding, i held back, even left our the pipe and organ part
;)

girl asks me, "hey justin, will your charger (iPod) fit in my port (iBook)?"

----------------

haha that's hilarious... COMPUTER GEEKS OF THE WORLD UNITE!

LOL...

I'm messin' with you, Justin. I was refering to the size of the photo...duh!3.gif

Actually, the number of individual voices (known as ranks) of the organ at your church may be larger than the organ my dad redesigned (I don't know the specifications to either). What's interesting though is that even a small 15 to 20 rank organ, if voiced properly and installed in a large reverberant room, can sound just as powerful as an instrument of 75 to 200 ranks. The larger instruments just have lots more voices to play with in either solo passages, or in grand ensembles. On several occasions, many organists who've played or heard the little 19 rank pipe organ my dad built for our house back in '83, have said this organ has the capabilities of much larger instruments, therefor being able to perform large complex compositions intended for cathedral-sized organs (also adding a little amplified digital reverberation from an Alesis Microverb and two small RadioShack monitors placed in the room help in making the residence organ sound much bigger as if in a small hall or church...or a cathedral, but that sounds too artificle to me).

you should come check out my organ. well my church's...

let's just skip out on the jokes ok? haha

it is just an amazing sound. it is really a shame, our organist left a few weeks to serve another church. a huge loss. he played everythign by ear, on the fly. it was amazing.

Justin, I'd love nothing better than to come your way and check out your huge organ...

Yeah, yer right...let's skip on the jokes!14.gif

I play very little by ear (I can read sheet music, but I lack the coordination to play what I read, plus my fingering technique sucks)! I assume the new organist at your church doesn't perform as well as his predesessor.

well the first problem is it is not a "he" that is not playing as well as "his" predecessor. actually she is not playing as well, she plays by the book, oh no! boring hehe.

seroiusly though, she is fantastic and honestly nothign against the fact that she is a woman. haha. last guy that would have somethign against the "feminist" movement. i actually applied for a job at the "Woman's Center", apparently I don't qualify for workstudy... grrr. They are just really fun haha!

I know what you mean, Justin...there are many great female organists that can play as well (if not better) than their male counterparts. Sounds to me she's more of a traditionalist and not a virtuosic performer. Oh well, as long as she doesn't hit too many sour notes.2.gif

That's one helluva concert hall organ, with it's 32' polished tin Pedal Diapasons in its façade...gasp!

The firm Foley-Baker, Inc. of Tolland, CT (of which my dad is their CAD engineer) has been renovating/restoring/enlarging the historic 1949 Aeolian-Skinner concert pipe organ to the famous Symphony Hall in Boston (home to the Boston Symphony Orchestra). What a job; should be completed in about 4 or 5 months.

http://theedge.bostonherald.com/artsNews/edgeArts.bg?articleid=200