Bottlehead Foreplay Tube Preamp

I just built a Foreplay preamp for a school project so I could learn more about tubes and electronics. I have no need for the preamp so I must sell it. I would like to get $215 or best offer. It sounds a lot better than you would think for the price. There are three pairs of inputs and one pair of outputs. The tubes that it uses are 2-5963's. These kits are sold prebuilt for $250 or $150 in kit version at www.bottlehead.com. I have put about 30 hours into building this preamp.

Thanks,

Taylor

post-13973-1381925425971_thumb.jpg

Taylor:

Are you able to send me a picture or describe how you did the heater connections that we have been talking about? These are the connections associated with pins 4 and 5 on both tubes and pin 9 on just one of the tubes. I kind of think this important prior to a sale. You should go over EVERY SINGLE CONNECTION you made, checking off each one in the manual, and then test the preamp thoroughly before trying to sell it. This is just my opinion, mind you, but I feel strongly enough about it to mention it to you.

Erik

Taylor: Ok, that great. I triple check each connection when I do stuff, and I'm sure you've got everything just as it should be.

I'd very much like to see the schematic, however I'm not certain what kind of copyright related factors might apply here. Bottlehead may not want the schematic posted on the internet for obvious reasons. I think what you may have done for the green wire connections is:

Left Tube:

1) solder a bare piece of wire between pins 4 and 5

2) Attach one of the green wires to pin 4

3) Attach the other green wire to pin 9

...and then you ran connections from the above pins over to the same pins on the other tube?

Am I close?

1.gif

You did well, I'm sure Taylor. What I was talking specifically about was the heater wiring -- which turned out to be different from my own shematic. It explained the way you had connected one of the leads to pin 9, and also matched the last description I wrote about the wiring of pins 4 and 5. That's really all I looked at.

If the preamp is working fine and not making strange noises, chances are that you did everything correctly.

Is there no way you can keep it and maybe build an inexpensive amp kit to go with it? Pardon me for asking this, because I know you already said you didn't need it. But maybe it would be nice to just hold on to it for a little while longer.

Taylor, you might consider posting this on Audiogon. There are plenty of tube addicts that want a Foreplay to customize over there, and you would sell it in a day. The DIY crowd is smaller here, and most of them already have a tube pre. If you do, just don't advertise that you have over 50 years of experience working with tube equipment, as your (step?)granddad worked on this stuff for years.2.gif

I would imagine you are getting pretty excited that school is almost out. I checked on the stereo stands in the downstairs kitchen - they will hike your Heresys up 21", and you can build custom bracket grabbers that will hold them without any drilling and screwing. They are yours if you want - we will launch them otherwise at the end of the month.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't get your link to work, even if I type it in manually. 8.gif

I did get it to work after all, by going to a different eBay sale then typing in your item number. Good luck selling it, if it were 6 months from now and I had a house, I'd be considering it. Now buying anything right now that can't be eaten or drunk, no room to store it.