Blue Note ? for Allan Songer perhaps

Can't get enough of Grant Greeen's Idle Moments. Absolutely phenomenal recording. Up to now I've been pretty satisfied with the RVG cd re-issue. It sounds pretty good, but I've got to get in on vinyl. $ for original pressing is probably out of the question. So, between a 1970's BN re-issue(BLUE NOTE:LP84154), supposedly in NM condition, and a new sealed 1998 180 gm re-issue(BLUE NOTE:BST84154), what is the best bet for good sound? Both are roughly the same price. Thanks for any advice.

laikadog

Is the 70's reissue a Liberty pressing with RVG stamped in the dead wax (would have to be early 70s)? I personally prefer the new 180 gram reissues to the 80s reissues but the earlier Liberty pressings are a different story.

For that particular lp, you need Allan's opinion. I'm sure he'll chime in when he sees this thread but you may want to email him just in case.

Unfortunately, I don't have the good furtune of being able to inspect the 70's re-issue in person as both copies are available on-line. Not ebay, FWIW. I've searched locally, but haven't had any luck ferreting out a copy of this disc. I also wonder if it might be worth it to try and find one of the Japanese re-issues. They're supposed to be pretty good and probably wouldn't be that much more than one of these copies. But then I would have to wait..and I'm running out of patience..must have now...

What a record! Duke Pearson + Grant Green = WOW!

Anyway, the blue label "Liberty" or "UA" pressing is the way to go. The domestic 80's and 90's pressings are pure dreck.

Minty originals sell for upwards of $100, Blue and White label Libertys sell for about $25 and solid-blue label issues for about $15.

B000005HCL.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This is one of the Liberty's with the blue label. I've got a couple of the 2LP re-issues from the mid 70's with the blue label and they sound good. I think they're asking around $19 for the Idle Moments. If it really is a NM copy, I'm not going to quibble over a few dollars. Would one of the Japanese re-issues be a significant improvement over the blue label version? Thanks Allan

The KING Japanese pressing will offer incredibly quiet vinyl--the BEST, but the sonics won't match the blue label Liberty. The later Toshiba/EMI Japanese pressing isn't as good as the KING. Blue label Libertys are a real bargain!

My copy has a dark blue label with a white b that has a quater note in the circle. The cover has a corner notched. I heard this was a copy that was exported. It sounds good but I have nothing to compare it to. I picked it up because I was looking albums that Duke Pearson played on. It's a dandy.

Rats! Over 5 days to go and it's already at $125. Not surprising. Mono? I would have thought that by 1963 RVG would have been recording in stereo. I don't have a problem with mono, but the sound from the RVG CD certainly doesn't sound like one of those "fake stereo" recordings. Interesting. Was there a certain point when RVG started to record in stereo for BN, or were they all monos originally?

BTW, did anyone else catch "Blue Note: A History Of Modern Jazz

" on the True Stories channel. I only caught the tail end of it the other night, but what I saw was pretty good. They're showing it several times again this month. http://www.starz.com/se/ssp/schedule/grid_titleview.html?v=4197553&e=-1&z=0

Asw early as late 1957 RVG started recording in Stereo for Blue Note, but they often never released the stereo mix--only a handful of titles through 1960 were released in stereo.

Monos are always worth more than stereo--most collectors think RVG didn't really get stereo "right" until the mid-1960's. I think Idle Moments sounds great either in mono or stereo--I have both and ususally play the Stereo copy because it's mint.