1st Post - Here's my system...

FlyingV: Perhaps the "magic" ceiling tile material you are searching for is melamine foam? That is what I have in my suspended ceiling and it has worked miracles for the room's acoustics. It also has a commercial grade class 1 fire-rating. It's available from the same company that makes Sonex sound panels: http://www.illbruck-sonex.com/ The product is called Sonex HARMONI ceiling tiles. I have the flat ones (no pattern) in black and they ar 2'x2' and about 2-1/4" thick. They have several colors available. They are a bit pricey but they work great. There is no noticible reflection from the ceiling at all and I have a concrete floor with resilient vinyl floor tile and no carpets or rugs.

For a remote, I am using a Phillips Pronto TSU-3000 PC-programmable remote, coupled with a Niles infrared repeating system.

Yes, the Gibson Flying V is one of my favorite guitars, too. It's hard to match it's deep, throaty sound, plus it's an eye-catcher that was first introduced in 1958 (I believe) and it was way ahead of its time. From reading your posts it appears that I am not alone when it comes to having a large assortment of interests and hobbies. Oh, if there were only 48 hours in a day............. 2.gif Welcome to the forum!

You've done a very nice job FlyingV! One of the first things to catch my eye were the wall sconces. My wife & I have those same ones in our HT! I also like how you placed the equipment rack in a nook behind the screen location. Question - how do you access the wiring for the rack? Does it pull out?

Mostly....I'm impressed with how all of the various types of equipment and the room has been integrated into what appears to be a very seemless package. You've no doubt spent many a waking moment (and possibly a few of those popping awake at 2:30am and jotting down ideas moments) carefully planning this out.

Bravo!! 1.gif

I hope my effort will be as well executed.

Thanks for sharing!!

Tom

Picky-Picky: Thanks. Yeah, 48hrs would be nice! My wife thinks I have a few too many hobbies oh well. She really does enjoy the room and has now informed me that a theater will be a requirement in our next house So I'm think'n - Design Theater, then build house around it... Hey, I can dream, can't I?

Actually, I was looking for liquid materials to create the 2 x 2 foam tiles from a custom mold of my own design. Ive been in Sonex foamed rooms that were so quiet the made your ears hurt (when nothing was playing) But, Im really not wanting to shell out the $. The USG commercial tiles that Im using, as well as the extra padded carpeting, have really dampened the sound. I decided to use the Ceiling Max system (PVC instead of metal) for attaching the tiles to the sloped ceiling. With the tiles locked into place, I have no vibration/noise issues.

Tom: Thanks. The sconces were actually quite inexpensive and are painted a lighter shade than the theater walls. I used JMs idea of wiring them into an IR dimmer and they work great. Originally, I put the rack on 6 casters to roll it out. This made it seem a little unstable with all the equipment and so I decided to remove them. The pocket behind my rack is 30 deep and Im able to squeeze around back for wiring by removing the side CD rack. I mounted a light in the ceiling above making everything easy to see (better than the old flashlight-in-mouth thing).

You are right Tom! I probably spent at least twice as much time thinking about how to arrange the room than building. However, I do have a slight sleeping disorder that usually keeps me up until 2:00am.

FlyingV: Yeah, I understand what you mean about foam and how it effects the room. The nice thing about our room is that the floors and walls are still hard surfaces, therefore the foam ceiling does not make the room seem "uncomfortable" as you were saying. There is still enough "liveliness" in the room to make it feel natural. Good luck with your project.

Flying V:

Outstanding HT. What screen are you using? I am very happy with my HT for now. If I only had more room I would use Khorns instead of Belles, but for now I am content. I am using a Z9000 and love the picture.

Nice job on the project.

Also, what are you using for Amps and controller?

eq_shadimar: Thanks for the compliment!

Rudy81: My screen is a manual 96 x 72 Draper Luma. With two small children, I thought it would be better to have a washable surface... just in case. Like I mentioned before, this was mostly an experiment in layout and acoustics. Therefore, I didnt want to spend a bunch of $$ on a glass-beaded electric screen. We plan to move/build in the very near future and this screen will most likely stay with the house.

Im currently using a Lexicon MC-1 processor and an AMC Valve/Mosfet hybrid amp for my mains. An SAE amp powers the sub system and Im using an Adcom GFA 7000 & GFA 6000 for the surrounds. Im still in what I would like to call the early stages of tweaking and have yet to spend any real time analyzing the different amps individually. I also wanted to get an appropriate amount of time on the AMCs Russian tubes (4 x Svetlana 6550C) before deciding. So far, Im quite pleased with my first HT setup. I have yet to see a single clipping light or have any measurable heat generated from the components (except the warm tubes).

Rudy, I really like your setup! I didnt think of using the Heresey/Forte combo for the side/rear channels HT #2 plans have been updated 1.gif

FlyingV: Very nice gear. I have been playing around with various DIY screens and have settled on what we call MSPVC, a silver, high gain screen. It too is washable and costs a whopping $150 to make.

I used the Forte's and the Heresy for sides and rears since I don't have the room for more large Heritage speakers. Besides, they were readily available on eBay. I do like having the sides and rears elevated, which would be a little more difficult to do with say more La Scalas.

Previously I had a pair of Chorus II's for my center channel and that was ok, but not optimum. When I got the current La Scala for center it blew me away.

I guess I will tweak things until I can have Khorns as mains...that is after I have a HT that can use the corners.

I had the pleasure to visit FlyingV and his family last Sunday afternoon and evening. Very nice room and a fun day since our sons are the same age. Dinner was awesome too. That grilled chicken was excellent!

I really have to build a HTPC now. Next winter for sure.

The sub under the seats is pretty cool. Just like a butkicker, but better since the whole riser vibrates. During the show, my wife leaned over and told me if I wanted to improve our sex life, we should build a subwoofer under our seats like that1.gif Maybe that was Vince's idea all along 1.gif

You also need to post pics of your project car.... O...M...G You would swear an extreme top end builder put that beauty together!!!

Thanks for the fun evening and dinner Vince!

JM

Thanks for the visit JM!

How can you not just love a woman that thinks like that! My wife falls asleep during movies... Maybe we should trade sub-woofers 2.gif

I'm glad you liked my "project" car. I don't think I should post auto photos on this forum... but I'll post a link for those interested. Basically it's a non-GM car with a GM (not my first choice) power plant. Like I said before, I've got a few hobbies and don't sleep much...

Thanks again JM! Your a bad/good influence and you know my next HT project will be down the Heritage path1.gif

Project Link:

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/customer_files/Vince_Aman.html