World record price for EICO HF-81

Parrot

The EICO still has the protective plastic layer over its brass faceplate. It's like it was hardly ever used, if at all. No wonder it went for so much!

quadII_never opened.jpg

Reminds me of the eBay auction I saw last year on a pair of ca. 1960s Quad II monoblock tube amps that were still sealed in their original cartons, having never seen the light of day in all their 40 years. The seller had each carton x-rayed just to prove the Quads were indeed inside their factory sealed boxes. Don't remember what the winning bid was, but I wonder if the new owner took them out...I'm sure he did.

post-11084-13819254948686_thumb.jpg

Ugly looking mother but they are supposed to sound sweet. Never heard one and for that price I never will.

Personal peeve. What is it with those ebay seller clowns who are always bragging that they didn't have speakers but they plugged the amp receiver in and yes all the lights lit up. I wonder how many collective vintage electronics are cooked by these guy over the course of a year.

Jim

I had forgotten about that auction. Great shot! I wonder how he was able to get an x-ray taken of them. They're WAY too big to ingest ("Doctor, I have a real bad tummy ache!"), not to mention the "exit strategy"...

Just try to get them through airport security and then take a snapshot at the x-ray machine. Feign a tummy ache and tell the security guards you changed your mind and do not want to board the plane after all, and be sure to wear a turban while doing this. Nothing to it.

C&S

ps. with that Eico 81, one is still purchasing someone elses wiring technique, not factory wired. Interesting how we tend to trust the do-it-yourselfers of yesteryear with these eBay units.....