Rear Speakers Don't Play In Pro-Logic Mode

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got a decent entry-level receiver (Harman Kardon AVR-110) and everything sounds great, well except music on my quintets, which knew what I was getting into when I bought them. But when I watch a movie on my DirecTV dish using analog out and use Pro-logic, or Logic-7 Cinema mode (Logic-7 is Harman Kardon's 5.1 Reproduction from a 2ch source) I barely hear a whisper from the surrounds. This is even when the rear channels are +10 decibels. I just sent the message to HK, but I figured I would ask the masters for a better opinion.

Just for info. I have quintet set w/o sub and HK AVR-110 receiver and RCA Dish with analog out.

Thanks,

JPK

Som, you will only hear content from the rear speakers in Pro Logic if it has been assigned there in the movie soundtrack. They will only play effects mostly, as assigned. Does your receiver have equal power for all the 5 channels? Logic 7 is only matrixing the 2-channel signal and playing it back through all the speakers. Does it do the same thing when listening to music? Is your HK receiver DD/DTS ready and does it have an optical or digital coaxial input? Also, does your DirecTV receiver have a DD optical or coaxial output that you can connect to your receiver? If so get it connected in this manner. Let us know how you make out.

------------------

Sony KP-43T70 43" Television

Denon AVR 3300 A/V Receiver (LF/RF) (LWE-I's w/Motion Feedback - Walnut)

Yamaha M-80 Auto Class A Amplifier (LF/RF) (Belle's - Oak Clear/Cane Grills)

DBX BX-2 2/3/4 Channel Power Amplifier (RR/ARR/LR/ALR) (Heresy II's (Walnut/Cane) & ESS Mini Monitors (Walnut))

DBX MPA-150 Mono Split Spectrum Amplifier © (KV-4 - Black)

Klipsch KSW-15 Powered Subwoofer (2)

Nakamichi DVD-10 DVD/LCD/CD Player

Nakamichi MB-10 Music Bank CD Changer

Technics SL-DL5 DDLinear Tracking Turntable

JVC HR-S7500U SVHS Video Cassette Recorder

VC3 Deluxe Video Clarifier

DBX 400XG Program Route Selector

DBX 120X-DS Subharmonic Synthesizer/Crossover

DBX 3BX-DS 3-Band Dynamic Range Controller (2) (1-LC) (1-RC)

DBX 14/10 14-Band Computerized Equalizer/RTA Analyzer/SPL Meter

Panamax 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditioner

Sega Dreamcast w/3 Controllers & VMU's/S-Video Output

Bedroom

Yamaha RX-900U Receiver

Panasonic DVD-A120U DVD/CD Player

Sony SLV-740HF Hi-Fi VCR

BBE - ARS Audio Recovery System

A/D/S L300E Mini Speakers

GE 20" Television

Well, I have the AVR-110, DTS/DD/5ch stereo/etc. all work with the surrounds. For some reason Pro Logic and the Logic 7 mode wont use the rears. Some sound comes out but it is nowhere near as loud as it should be; only a slight whisper comes out, even with the extra decibles increased to the two rears. I am using a 4yr old RCA DirecTV sat. which I truely love, although I don't have any optical out, so its all analog RCA jacks into the receiver. I usually watch Movies off HBO/Showtime/Cinemax and they pretty much should all me encoded in Dolby Surround. Also heres a link for the reciever HK AVR-110

Anything plz let me know. I want to get this fixed

Thanks,

JPKcwm4.gif

Somperson:

As a former retail manager handling customer problems and complaints, your problem, unfortunately, was second only in times dealt with to "my picture is fuzzy on my new 60" big screen TV and it looked fine on my old 19" one".

DolbyProLogic, as Frzninvt stated, was the earliest surround format, and was only designed to produce an effect in the rear that told the listener that "hey, cool, there's something back there!" It was a "step up" in movie and TV sound from 2 channel stereo. In comparing it to Dolby Digital, DTS or 5 channel stereo, there will be a huge difference in effect. Those formats came later with newer technology and were designed to provide a much better "surround" experience. DolbyProLogic will have much less "volume" in the rear channels naturally and will have no volume there whatsoever if you are listening to a mono source (such as news, most sports, older programs, etc.)

I used to tell my customers with your same problem to make sure everything is set up correctly (run test tones or use an SPL meter to make sure speaker levels are correct, etc.), stay up a little later and watch David Letterman. As long as you're hearing the audience cheer and clap some in the rear channels as Dave walks on stage at the opening, your ProLogic is working correctly. That is the most effect you can get with ProLogic. That's also the reason there are newer, better formats out there...

My guess, and it's just a guess, is that Logic7 is a similiar effect to DolbyProLogic...

PhilH

• 1 month later...

be sure you have a STEREO signal going into your receiver!! disconnect the right channel patchcord and see if your sound changes (becomes worse). if not, you need to be sure to get stereo from your source to your ss receiver, and the 'show' you're watching is in stereo/dolby encoded . avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

sony strda-777ES receiver

NEW! sony playstation 2!

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

surrounds and a 'teens sub coming!

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Somperson -

The AVR 110 is the small brother to the AVR 510 that I own. If you want to make sure that your rear speakers are properly connected then switch the surround mode to 5 Ch Stereo. This will output the same signal at the same level to all 5 speakers. If your speakers are working here then the issue is what the folks here have already memtioned. I listen to digital cable using the stereo rca connectors on the cable box in Logic 7 Cinema mode and very rarely do the surrounds come on. The most noticable is during live taped stereo broadcast shows (like Letterman when the audience is pumped to the rears) or wacthing a moive on HBO.

Another good test would be to get a stereo vcr and hook it to the AVR 110. Then get a THX certified movie like Star Wars or X Men tape that plays the THX intro. During this demo in Prologic or Logic 7 Cinema mode the surrounds should be very active.

Of course before you do any of this get yourself a SPL meter and a test disk like Video Essientials or AVIA and make sure all your channels are properly balanced.

Hope this makes some sense.

Laters,

------------------

FOR SALE OR TRADE COMPLETE R*3 SYSTEM FOR 3 HERESY'S

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

Hey guys thanks for your responses. I thought this was a little deeper than what I figured out. It seems whomever hooked it up probably my father ran short on cables and did a mono out and then split one cord with a "V" connector to try to recreate stereo. Otherwise I figured it out a while ago when this topic wasn't being replied on. So thanks for you input, by the way Band Of Brothers sounded fantastic on the Harman Kardon in Logic 7 mode. HAHA

Thanks again guys,

Jason

yea jason, main reason was probably that Band o Bros was broadcast in dolby digital 5.1. now if they'd only do that for the sopranos Biggrin.gif

most broadcast material just doesn't offer much for surround so you're not alone. maybe those new dolby prologic II decoders will help there. hope so. but yet to hear PL II or DTS neo. maybe i'll get that new denon 4802 & find out cwm35.gif