How far down from the ceiling should I put my RS7's?

dachuckster

I am close to installing my speaker system in my almost completed home theatre. I have RF7s up front, a RC7, and RS7s for surround. It looks like I need to place the RS7s just about in line with my couch, and the "manual" states they should be at least a foot or two from the ceiling, but that seems pretty low. I would like to put them almost as close to the ceiling as physically possible. The ceiling is almost 8 feet high.

Will mounting them so the tops of the speakers are within a few inches of the ceiling be "bad" or not recommended? Or will it be fine?

Also, any suggestions on securing the speaker wires to the speaker as I go to mount them on the wall, there is not much room in that little cut out in the back of the speaker...

I would definitely not go higher than klipsch' recommendations, and in fact, if you are "into" (retro 70's term) multi-channel music, I would suggest putting them lower still. Maybe just above seated ear level. IMHO, of course.

I think the "ideal" position is ear-high in your normal listening position. I've never actually seen that done, but that would make sense - at least to me. I have mine higher than that - about ear level while standing and they do just fine. I think you have some flexibility, but going just inches from the ceiling is quite high compared to your sitting position (unless your ceilings are 4 feet high or your couch is 6 feet high 2.gif ).

Why do you want to go that high? Can you angle them down? I did that with a set of speakers long ago when I had no choice - had to go above a door frame. Worked for me.

Regarding the speaker wire and limited room behind the RS-7's. That's a tough mount, no question. I have some thick wire and had to strip the external insulation off the last foot or so (the wire was thicker than the space the pads create between the speaker and the wall). Other than that, it's just a lot of persistence to get them up. Good luck.

Thanks all, especially Trey.

I am enclosing one of two photos here to give a little insight to my situation. The wife was not happy that I am planning on puting the RS7s up, she thought I was going with in-walls. NOT! SO, I need to keep them up mostly for looks. Right now, I have in-walls for rear surrounds and they actually arent bad sounding. But the room is square, and not very big. The new family room is much larger.

This picture is from the back of the family room looking towards the wall where a big screen will go. The little 20" in the photo is only temporary. Look up to the side and you will see where I have the speaker wire coming out of the wall. I would like to mount the RS7 somewhat close to that.

My biggest concern was I would like them up high, I dont want them low mostly because I know the wife will NOT be happy if they are down at ear level while sitting on a couch. It seems that about 7 feet up from the floor is Klipsch's maximum height reccomendation.

post-12406-13819255082942_thumb.jpg

Here is a look at the right side where the other RS7 will go. They are pretty close to being directly accross from the other, they will be offset by maybe a foot. I really dont think we will notice anything with them being offset. We will probably be sitting close to the speaker location-in other words, the speaker may be just a little in front or a little behind us, depending on where we put the couch. Is having the speaker 2-3 feet behind that critical? Any thoughts/suggetsions?

post-12406-13819255084372_thumb.jpg

The Dolby site for home theater setup - http://www.dolby.com/Consumer/HomeEntertainment/Setup/ - recommends the surrounds being between 90 degrees to 110 degrees off the viewing axis - so basically either directly to the side or slightly behind the seating position. They also recommend above ear level, although they don't specify how much.

You'll probably be OK mouting them up high if you need to for the WAF, I'd agree about angling them down a bit if possible. We've got our surrounds (non-Klipsch, but similar in design to the RS7) about two feet above ear level and almost directly to the side, maybe a few inches behind the listening position. We tried a couple of alternate spots but this sounded the best of the physically possible locations.

Do not angle them down. You will have know problem with them as high as you want. But i would bring em down about a foot if you like. They sound good up high like that with all the reflections going on. I personally think angling them down ruins everything. Having them up high your in the right ballpark you will have killer flybys. Put in something like apocolypse now and listen to the begining and when their high you will hear what i am talking about. IT will sound way better. With the helicopter coming off from the distance. You will be very happy with what you had in mind. Just don't angle them down. Try it and then put em back and listen and you will hear.