Pro Logic II

Davec

Finished purchasing the speakers for new Home Theater system (2 sets of KLF 20's for front and back, Ksw12 Sub and C7 Center). Now need to purchase receiver.

Considering Onkyo 696 and 787, Denon 3801 and Yamaha 1000. Only the Onkyo 696 has Pro Logic II which I hear really is worthwhile for hearing older CD's.. Salesman at one store said there is little difference between 5.1 sound versus Pro Logic II. Is it worth waiting for new receivers to come out from Denon and Yamaha with Pro Logic II (supposedly coming in fall)? Which one tends to sound best with Klipsch speakers?

I have the Onkyo 696 along with the Klipsch Reference series ( RF-3,RC-3 & RS-3s ) plus two SVS 20-39cs subs with a 600 watt power amp for them. I'm a completely happy camper!!

Did the store even have anything with DPLII? I bet his story changes after he has some product. DPL-II is a very big improvement with any source that is DPL-I. It has done wonders with most TV programs that are sent via DPL-I, not to mention music.

It's not meant to compete with DD or DTS. If either of these are available then you would want to use them. DPL-II is for the older material that was DPL-I to begin with, and it breaths new life into them, be it music or movies. I have Dish Network and there is very little that I can receive as DD or DTS.

Davec-

1.) IMO, I would base the purchase of the reciever based on sound quality, IF two receivers sound the same (not bloodly likely) then you can base it on prices & features.

2.) I rarely use Dolby Prologic/Suround, except to watch TV shows. For music, I use Direct (or occasionally 5-ch stereo) to get the most uncolored sound quality. For DVDs, I use DTS or DD if DTS is not available.

So frankly, i don't think PrologicII is THAT much of a benifit, but test out the systems (with your speakers) and your favorite music.

------------------

Receiver: Denon AVR-3801

DVD: Denon DVD-1000

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RS-3's

Center: RC-3

SubW: KSW-12